Wanted: Old frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Hi Montage,

My work colleague and I have been working on converting an old steel frame, 58cm, into a single speed commuter. Alas, we've diverted most of our funds to our own bikes so its not been paid full attention but is pretty much all complete.

However, he is willing to sell the frame with brake calipers, unless you want the whole bike, for pretty much what he paid for, £35. Ill see if I can upload pictures on here unless you want me to email them to you.

The rear drop out is currently 130mm, but being its a steel frame, it can be cold-forged into 120mm am sure.

It is quite heavy, well, by my super light bikes standards, but we have nicked named it The Beast!

bonj2

montage said:
Afraid birmingham is still yonks away!
Problem is that I travel via bike or train...so it is either impossible or sodding expensive :evil: .... thanks anyway :smile:

you can post a bike frame you know... wouldn't cost a lot

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Davywalnuts said:
Hi Montage,

My work colleague and I have been working on converting an old steel frame, 58cm, into a single speed commuter. Alas, we've diverted most of our funds to our own bikes so its not been paid full attention but is pretty much all complete.

However, he is willing to sell the frame with brake calipers, unless you want the whole bike, for pretty much what he paid for, £35. Ill see if I can upload pictures on here unless you want me to email them to you.

The rear drop out is currently 130mm, but being its a steel frame, it can be cold-forged into 120mm am sure.

It is quite heavy, well, by my super light bikes standards, but we have nicked named it The Beast!

If you go for this Montage, get a normal fixed rear hub thats 120, put 2.5mm/3mm spacers on either side and just bent the frame in. It will go down to 125/126 easy. Just make sure you have enough axle after, but you should have.

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
Thanks for all the brilliant offers - but I spotted a steal on ebay :smile: .... was very local collection aswell!

Hope all your little projects/frames get put to good use, and again thanks for all the kind help :biggrin:

montage said:
Thanks for all the brilliant offers - but I spotted a steal on ebay :smile: .... was very local collection aswell!

Hope all your little projects/frames get put to good use, and again thanks for all the kind help :biggrin:

Nice, how soon before you make a start...? I've got one week, and the bike's mine - hooray......wheelbuilding etc here I come!:biggrin:

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
Unsure if I am going to make this one fixed to begin with.... All the gears are working so well that it seems a shame.... but I shall try and aquire fixed stuff whilst using this bike, then make the change whenever I can... :smile:

Top Bottom