Wanted: parking distance time formula cycling walking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Somewhere out there on the web there is an analysis of some town showing how the relative positions of the car parking and cycle parking from the shops was used to mean that, on average, cycling to the shop was quicker than driving to it from anywhere in the town. It then used a formula to calculate the necessary parking-to-shop and trip length distances for a given size of town.

Does anyone remember this? Can anyone find it? I'd really like to have it on hand for next week.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Interesting. But the lazy B's will still drive.

dodgy

One of the biggest surprises to me after buying a folding bike, is how quick you can get to the supermarket and be out again and on the way home. It's amazing how much time you spend by patrolling the car park for a space, then walking to the shop from there. I just ride up to the front door, fold in less than 10 seconds in and out again by about 5 mins later.
I don't have the analysis you're looking for, though. Sorry.

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

Yeah, I've not found it either. Tried a few times. So as a lunchtime task, I've tried to recreate this from first principles:

dc = distance of the average unoccupied cycle parking rack from shop door;
dp = distance of the average unoccupied car parking space from shop door;
W = average walking speed in m/s;
C = average cycling speed in m/s;
P = average driving speed in m/s;
hc = cycling distance between home and shop door;
hp = driving distance between home and shop door.

So time taken to drive+walk to shop = Td = ( (hp - dp) / P ) + ( dp / W )
and time taken to cycle+walk to shop = Tc = ( (hc - dc) / C ) + ( dc / W )

So I want to find the point where the balance tips which is Td = Tc which means:
( (hp - dp) / P ) + ( dp / W ) = ( (hc - dc) / C ) + ( dc / W )

Let's plug some assumptions in to get a rule of thumb!

Average walking speed = W = 3mph = 1.34m/s (it's crossing a car park, so I'm expecting some pauses and detours - I'm using metres and seconds for inputs so that the final outputs should be in metres or seconds);
average cycling speed in town (my track data) = C = 10mph = 4.47m/s;
average driving speed on urban roads = P = 18.6mph = 8.31m/s (2dp);
cycling and driving distances roughly equal because this is the UK and cycleways are as likely to have detours as shortcuts = hc = hp = h.

So:

( (hp - dp) / P ) + ( dp / W ) = ( (hc - dc) / C ) + ( dc / W )
Plug in the assumed numbers:
( (h - dp) / 8.31 ) + ( dp / 1.34 ) = ( (h - dc) / 4.47 ) + ( dc / 1.34 )
Split up the terms:
h/8.31 - dp/8.31 + dp/1.34 = h/4.47 - dc/4.47 + dc/1.34
Subtract h/8.31 from both sides and group factors:
(1/1.34 - 1/8.31)dp = (1/4.47 - 1/8.31)h + (1/1.34 - 1/4.47)dc
Work out the arithmetic:
0.626dp = 0.103h + 0.523dc
Divide both sides by 0.626:
dp = 0.16h + 0.84dc
dp =~= h/6 + 5dc/6
dp - 5dc/6 =~= h/6

So if the cycle parking is very close to the door (so we can ignore the dc term) then it would be quicker to cycle if the average unoccupied car parking space is further from the door than a sixth of the distance from home. Hmmm.

This seems to work in town. Distance from a friend's home to a town centre shop is 1060m. Cycle parking is pretty close to the door. The average unoccupied car parking space would have to be within 176m of the door, but I think it's 220m away. Cycling is definitely quicker, in reality as well as theory.

Also, hitting 18.6mph average driving speed in those streets is very unlikely, so the differential is probably larger. They're not A roads, but I've not found a better estimate of average urban driving speeds - anyone got one?

But the rule of thumb formula doesn't work for me: a shop near me is 5080m away, so I'd need the average car parking space to be 843m away from the shop door. But I know it's only 60m (the shop has its own car park across its service road) and that cycling is roughly similar on time to the door. So am I sacrificing time for the health benefits of cycling or have I got something wrong above?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
A few winters back we had a work lunch time drink for Christmas. I cycled from the office to the pub and the others drove. It was 3km away. I was on my second pint by the time they arrived.

It's not always the case but often on a bike you can take a shorter route and avoid traffic lights.

Smudge

Veteran
One of the biggest surprises to me after buying a folding bike, is how quick you can get to the supermarket and be out again and on the way home. It's amazing how much time you spend by patrolling the car park for a space, then walking to the shop from there. I just ride up to the front door, fold in less than 10 seconds in and out again by about 5 mins later.
I don't have the analysis you're looking for, though. Sorry.

I do almost all my shopping by bike, its loads easier and quicker than by car.
Not only the parking issues you mention, but i'm not stuck in slow moving or stationary traffic. I can also use short cuts that cars cant use.

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

So I'm getting the impression from these comments that "cycling and driving distances roughly equal because this is the UK and cycleways are as likely to have detours as shortcuts = hc = hp = h" was also an incorrect assumption.

Would anyone like to hazard a guess at the ratio between cycling and driving distances to UK shops? Or even better, has anyone compiled evidence on this?

I thought I'd been criticised on forums in the past for suggesting that cycling routes are often shorter than driving ones, so I thought it wasn't generally true in the UK.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
If you are talking long distance then in a car you'll have access to motorways, trunk roads, and busy A roads. Often more direct than cycling.

But in town there are many short cuts you can take on a bike such as a path through a park, a cycle way, past barriers on a dead end road, through underpasses, and generally along small roads that no one would drive along to town.

So I'd say cycling to shops vs. Driving is probably about 80% distance wise on average.

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
mjr

mjr

I'm not sure that's generally true, with motorways and trunk roads often deviating to avoid expensive urban land (but there are exceptions) and the extra distance being compensated by speed limits 10-50mph higher than on older roads.

Thanks for the 80% estimate. Anyone with other views?

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

So if I say that the central mile radius of Leeds is about average for UK urbanity at 11.25mph = 5.03m/s, that would make the last few lines of the calculation:
0.547dp = 0.025h + 0.523dc
dp = 0.046h + 0.96dc
dp =~= h/22 (assuming dc is near enough to zero - or that you have to walk past the cycle parking to get from car to door, which is equivalent)

So that looks more reasonable to me but still doesn't explain my shop 5km away with car parking an average 60m from the door - and I suspect traffic on averages more than 11.25mph to it because it's more suburban than central. Maybe I'm just crazy :smile:

I'm not reworking with the "cycle route is 20% shorter" assumption until there are more opinions on whether that's generally true. Hope that's OK :smile:

Top Bottom