Wanted recommendations for a point and shoot digital camera.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I've had a few cameras over the years, and they've all been very good for what they supposed to do, but some are bit faffy.

I would like a camera that doesn't need to whirr into action with it's lens popping out, I don't want to go through a load of steps and functions to turn it on. I want to take out of my jersey pocket, click a button and its done. Also with a view finder would be preferable to a screen.

Any ideas?

An older generation waterproof/tough camera may be best. I recall some had viewfinders and they all lack external zoomy lens.

Smudge

Veteran
Very limited choice for a viewfinder on a compact these days, even less so on a compact that doesn't have a zoom. My Sony HX80 has a veiwfinder, but it also has a 30X zoom.
TBH, i find the camera so good on phones these days, that the only reason i keep a compact camera is for the optical zoom.
I use a motorcycle forum ADVrider and have seen some stunning photography on there that i then assume is taken with a DSLR, only to then find out that the poster had used a smartphone.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
For quickie pics the phone is darn good. But no vu finder and the screen is difficult to see. For "better" stuff I use a Lumix. It does have a vu finder but it's got all those other things you specifically don't want (pop out lens, menus, telescopic lens, macro setting........) So I'll say no more.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
For the sort of point and shoot photography the OP wants I'd just use a mobile phone, I've had a look and there's almost no market for basic point and shoot cameras, the features wanted would've been commonplace fifteen years ago, but are vanishingly rare now.

Consider perhaps as an alternative, Waterproof cameras or Tough Cameras, these are essentially a functionally basic camera, designed to withstand hard knocks or rain or sometimes a bit of underwater photography, they usually don't have zoom lenses, but none of the ones I could see come with a viewfinder.

Alternatively you can get a cheap Go-Pro knock off on amazon, you'll get a very small camera with a touch screen LCD display, rechargeable batteries and point and shoot functionality, a quick search for Action camera will get you there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Very limited choice for a viewfinder on a compact these days, even less so on a compact that doesn't have a zoom. My Sony HX80 has a veiwfinder, but it also has a 30X zoom.
TBH, i find the camera so good on phones these days, that the only reason i keep a compact camera is for the optical zoom.
I use a motorcycle forum ADVrider and have seen some stunning photography on there that i then assume is taken with a DSLR, only to then find out that the poster had used a smartphone.
I agree that the camera on phones is very good, but there's a degree of faff that I want to cut out on them.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
You are looking for a 'fixed prime lense' camera - pretty niche. https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/buying-guide-best-fixed-prime-lens-cameras
However, as stated before - your mobile phone may be a lot better bet.
I didn't know they were called that, thank you.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
For the sort of point and shoot photography the OP wants I'd just use a mobile phone, I've had a look and there's almost no market for basic point and shoot cameras, the features wanted would've been commonplace fifteen years ago, but are vanishingly rare now.

Alternatively you can get a cheap Go-Pro knock off on amazon, you'll get a very small camera with a touch screen LCD display, rechargeable batteries and point and shoot functionality, a quick search for Action camera will get you there.

I have two GoPros, and I can do that but I get a bit of 'fish eye' with the results.

I might be looking for another small 'point/shoot' digital compact, as the Fuji XP10 I carry around (be it on foot, riding, or in car) is getting a bit past it
By that, I really mean I want a better zoom facility than it has which is, I think 4x
I bought it in 2011, and it's served well since, so a newer model may be an idea?

https://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/fujifilm_finepix_xp10_review

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
My Fujifilm X100F gives excellent results, with a fixed lens, viewfinders both optical and electronic, no zoom and a decent sized sensor. It was a bit pricey when I bought it, but there,s a new model out, so look in the second-hand places.
Goodness! They’re a bit out of my league!

Salar

A fish out of water
Another Fujifilm user here, can't remember the model as I don't have it to hand, but it has a digital viewfinder, use it for surveys, reports etc and does the job, good enough for professional presentations and a lot smaller than a DSLR.

I just buy secondhand digital P & S cameras from fleabay, Cash generator, Cashconverter etc. loads to pick from, but not many with a viewfinder. When one packs up, or I drop it, I just get another cheapie.

I had one once that still had the memory card in, complete with someones holiday and family pics.

Top Bottom