Wanted: Road bike 54cm Hertfordshire/London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Guyvers

Regular
So after searching the usual sites I'm still looking for the above.

I'm 5'8 and 3/4" ^_^ with a 30" inseam. Have narrowed down my search to a 54cm top tube (first road bike :blush:)

Hoping for at least 9 speed Sora (preferably more) but budget is restricted at £500. Discs would be preferred but not essential, must be clean and well kept.

Hoping 2nd hand will achieve more bang for my buck as currently toying with a new Giant contend or Triban RC500 (once I save a few more pennies).

Happy to travel within reason once restrictions allow.

Thanks in advance

Justin

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200508-212239_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200508-212239_Chrome.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Why does it need to have a 50cm seat tube, if the reach and stand over is right, the ST just affects the amount of seatpost showing?
Your grid says 50.8. Which would mean 51cm (never seen a calculator as the geometry of bikes varies :scratch:)
Most 54cm stock bikes come with 172.5cm cranks, you won’t notice a difference to 170

OP
OP
G

Guyvers

Regular
Why does it need to have a 50cm seat tube, if the reach and stand over is right, the ST just affects the amount of seatpost showing?
Your grid says 50.8. Which would mean 51cm (never seen a calculator as the geometry of bikes varies :scratch:)
Most 54cm stock bikes come with 172.5cm cranks, you won’t notice a difference to 170

Thanks for your reply.

Just posted the results I got from the calculator.

I understand its a guide and ultimately will need to sit on the bike to know for sure but thought it was helpful as a reference.

Sorry If I came across too specific. :blush:

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for your reply.

Just posted the results I got from the calculator.

I understand its a guide and ultimately will need to sit on the bike to know for sure but thought it was helpful as a reference.

Sorry If I came across too specific. :blush:
I think specifying a 54cm TT should get you in the right ballpark 👍

vickster

Legendary Member
OK noted!

I've tried to work out my stack and reach but can't seem to find a method short of getting a bike fit (which isn't possible atm).
You just need to sit on them. Although fit can be adjusted with stem, spacers etc. You don’t need a bike fit. If you’re between sizes, go smaller not bigger.

I’m 5’9.5, long legged (around 34”) and 54cm is always ok for me, often with a lot of seatpost showing.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Guyvers

Regular

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it

That's a nice basic machine and would be ideal for a lot of people if they would just ignore it's lack of snob value

That does look pretty!

Only claris and quite heavy but definitely on the the shortlist. :okay:

Thank you

Nought wrong with Claris and the extra weight could be anybodies daily visit to the loo :laugh:

Top Bottom