Wanted: smartphone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kernow_T

Über Member
Moto G has been giving up over the last 12 months and now moves at about the same speed as me, post-christmas, up a Cornish hill - very slow.
After a good condition used smartphone such as Moto G or Samsung (maybe an iPhone 5 or 6 possibly?)
As an idea, if I can't find anything I'll probably, but would rather not, end up getting a new (2016) Samsung J3 or Moto G4 for 80 -100
Cheers

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
the iPhone SE is awesome but not the latest and greatest - hence you can get good deals. its nice and small for rides!

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Moto G has been giving up over the last 12 months and now moves at about the same speed as me, post-christmas, up a Cornish hill - very slow.
After a good condition used smartphone such as Moto G or Samsung (maybe an iPhone 5 or 6 possibly?)
As an idea, if I can't find anything I'll probably, but would rather not, end up getting a new (2016) Samsung J3 or Moto G4 for 80 -100
Cheers
Well that strange, mine has done the exact same suddenly in the last 4 weeks its given up.... Crashing running like a slug. I used to be quite smug about mine doing everything I want for £99 and lasting years.

Ugh, factory reset.

Just did one, and it didn't fix the problem ... new sim fixed the problem. It's a huge pain in the arse. But definitely try it before buying a new phone.

Edit: For the record, my problem was not connecting to wifi or mobile networks. Actually, the reset may have partially fixed the problem, as I could connect long enough to get a text message to enable the sim swap.

Last edited:

pawl

Legendary Member
If there are smart phones,can you get ignorant phones.Or like me on most things.you have to switch on are foreign to me. Mind you I seem to be managing to press the correct buttons on this thing.

aferris2

Guru
The other thing to try is to clear the cache. You can only do this using some trickery with the power-on sequence. I don't have the sequence of buttons that need to be pressed to hand, but I'm sure google will find it for you.

Andrew_P

I reckon that you could both get your phones back to full working speed by doing some housekeeping! Clear out as much crap as you can, maybe start from scratch with a factory reset?
I removed everything the only things that holding me back from a reset is rebuilding it and going to cash points to reauthorize the two bank account apps! Halved my apps. I think it might have had it to be honest, went from full charged at 6.30am to 15% by 1pm. Downloaded one of those crappy cleaners and seemed to finish it off. The single reason I wouldn't mind a new one is to get WiFi Calling as where I am at the moment I get a signal in one place and forever need to talk on speaker phone!

I will reset it soon I think after all I will have to do the Bank on a new phone. Orange won't transfer my 20gb deal (£14.99) and want unbelievable money for a £179 phone cheapest that you can enable WiFi Calling I think over 24 months.

Andrew_P

The other thing to try is to clear the cache. You can only do this using some trickery with the power-on sequence. I don't have the sequence of buttons that need to be pressed to hand, but I'm sure google will find it for you.
I cleared all the app Cache, so off to look at Google, the other thing I like about my phone is it is raw Android all be it version 5 point something, tried my Wife's Samsung and thought it was a Apple wannabe.

OP
OP
Kernow_T

Kernow_T

Über Member
Battery life really dropped (used to be decent) and once I get the 15% warning it's pretty much done for
Also when lowish on battery, one switch to the camera and it powers off within 3 seconds.
Plan a factory reset later.
Thanks all

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Cleared the cache on my Moto G recently and it helped considerably. Must delete some apps though, realised I've had Strava on there for a year and I've used it once. Every journey I do is almost exactly the same.

Top Bottom