[WANTED] Your old, disused wheelset.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
@DiddlyDodds - if @Andrew_Culture doesn't want them I could use them for the 1980's Raleigh Team. I'm struggling to get a rear wheel sorted and the front's stuffed.

So DC Lane , I will dig them out , do you want collect or I can post them or meet you half way over the Christmas break

I probably have a pair of stock wheels from a triban 3 available :whistle:... sure my OH would be delighted if I parted company with them. They need new cups & cones. bearings were OK last time I looked.... even have a box that their replacement wheels came in...

Assuming of course that your friend won't see that as taking the mickey...

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I probably have a pair of stock wheels from a triban 3 available :whistle:... sure my OH would be delighted if I parted company with them. They need new cups & cones. bearings were OK last time I looked.... even have a box that their replacement wheels came in...

Assuming of course that your friend won't see that as taking the mickey...

I've not replaced cups n cones before, I'll do a quick bit of research.

OK - I am correct for once with terminology... tis this http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Tech-Tuesday-Cup-and-Cone-Hub-Rebuild-2011.html
they are slightly and unevenly worn and were in my view needing replacing, but I was getting fed up of re-greasing the bearings every 6-8 weeks with the mileage at the beginning of the year I was doing (+1,000km a month) and the surfaces I was on (think converted railway) so upgraded the wheels to CX version of Fulcrum 7 racings. My OH is still on the original stock wheels having not taken the bike off road and they have been fine for him.

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
OK - I am correct for once with terminology... tis this http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Tech-Tuesday-Cup-and-Cone-Hub-Rebuild-2011.html
they are slightly and unevenly worn and were in my view needing replacing, but I was getting fed up of re-greasing the bearings every 6-8 weeks with the mileage at the beginning of the year I was doing (+1,000km a month) and the surfaces I was on (think converted railway) so upgraded the wheels to CX version of Fulcrum 7 racings. My OH is still on the original stock wheels having not taken the bike off road and they have been fine for him.

That looks a bit scary!

That looks a bit scary!
not too bad... done it many times now - regreasing the bearings that is. just need the cone spanners (plus new bearings & grease). easier than building a pc from scratch but you need the bike it is going onto handy to get the tension correct, otherwise I would offer to assist...
was guessing that you knew about that side of life when you stated
it doesn't hugely matter what sort of condition they're in

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
not too bad... done it many times now - regreasing the bearings that is. just need the cone spanners (plus new bearings & grease). easier than building a pc from scratch but you need the bike it is going onto handy to get the tension correct, otherwise I would offer to assist...
was guessing that you knew about that side of life when you stated ...

Nope, although I did get into IT by building computers from scratch :smile:

I think I might gracefully decline your kind offer, any repair that requires a certain amount of 'just so' intuition tends to end badly for me.

Top Bottom