War of the Worlds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sheddy

Legendary Member
WOTW would have been so much better without David Essex. I guesss that Jeff Wayne didn't understand that an Officer in the British Army at that time would not have spoken like an knob

Abitrary said:
I left my heart in San Fransisco - don't know it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Left_My_Heart_in_San_Francisco

Abitrary said:
I can't stop loving you - not sure which version

Hopefully Ray Charles.

derall

Guru
Gosh, I'd forgotten all about this album - Somewhere back home I have a copy on vinyl (showing my age again). 'Scuse me whilst I nip over to the iTunes store for an impulse purchase of a track or two...

Sheddy- he isn't specifically an officer, in the book and recording he is only ever called the Artilleryman. So he may have spoken like a nob.

Album- first side (on the original)- fantastic. Second side, too much time on the Parson which deviates totally from the book, and the Red Weed. If they had stuck to the book they could have avoided the Julie Covington sobstory and got on with the events. And no mention at all of the Flying Machine.

My family once drove to Reading to see relatives- with The War of the Worlds on the car stereo. Driving past Horsell Common, there had been a heath fire and large parts of it were charred - spooky!

Jeff Wayne admitted that the sound effect for the cylinder was a recording of his missus scraping a saucepan lid around a lavatory bowl. It spoils the effect a bit knowing that!

All the same, a very good record.

Rob S

Lord of the Teapot said:
Mrs Teapot and I went to see War of the Worlds in Nottingham just before christmas. FANTASTIC! :idea:

Have they got rid of the stupid three dimensional Richard Burton head? Really gets on my tits when I watch the Live DVD...it should've been 2D and part of the back projection then it wouldn't get in the way.

Rob S

Intelligenthamster said:
If they had stuck to the book they could have avoided the Julie Covington sobstory and got on with the events.

But it's the third best song after Forever Autumn and Thunderchild!!!:idea:

Top Bottom