Warm up help please......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nappadang

Über Member
I've tweaked my inner thigh (not the scientific name, I know). I have been away over the weekend so obviously I've been cycling a new route. This involved a steepish climb from the off which has caused the twinge in my right leg.
At home I use a gentle start to stretch and get warmed up. Firstly, can anyone suggest some simple warm up exercises, and secondly, should I ease up, stop altogether or ride through the discomfort?

I'd appreciate any words of wisdom.

Mick

Born2die

Ease up and ice (ice, compression and elevation) as a warm up I stretch just quick prep stretches maybe 3/4 mins on the spot gentle jog with shoulder presses alternate arms etc then the 1st 5 mins of the ride I just spin the granny gears till I'm warm then ease up into it.

KneesUp

Guru
I have the same problem as the OP - I work and live at the bottom of two different hills, so you start with a lot of effort - I haven't thought of a solution . Rollers by the back door, perhaps?

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Just start slow and if you don't want to push it then don't . I annoyed my knee a few weeks ago but didn't want to stop riding , my times are rubbish but I don't care as I need my knee :thumbsup:
On a funny note I ended up sharing a cycle lane with a fella on an MTB while my knee was playing up . We both said you go first and I explained I was taking it slow . He was over the moon with the fact he was going to beat a "racer " :laugh: and you would have thought he had won gold when he passed the lights with his hands held high ^_^

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I use cycling specific stretches, since I was 50. They really weren't necessary before, but now I have to use them. Many are based in simple yoga technique. I find them very helpful for mobility, and heading off the little aches, pains, and sprains associated with cycling.

OP
OP
nappadang

nappadang

Über Member
I just spin the granny gears till I'm warm then ease up into it.[/quote

Best comment I've seen since joining!

A big thanks for all the advice. I'm glad no one suggested full rest as I'm really starting to enjoy my cycling.
I did an easy hour last night and another tonight. If anything, I'm in a lot less discomfort.

As always, great advice, thanks again.

Mick

Top Bottom