Warmest bib tights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zakalwe

Rapha longs are padless which could be a deal breaker for some. The extra shorts you'll have to wear underneath should add some warmth.

How about the water repellant Ride Aquazero bibs from ridebosh.com, supposedly not bad at all and a steal at 50 quid.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I'm going to parade my ignorance ; please don't laugh too loudly. If you have a cheap pair of padded bib longs, is there any reason why you can't get more warmth by wearing some arctic-grade Helly Hansen long johns underneath? I know that commando is usually the order of the day, but the pad will take care of any seams in the LJs, won't it? Are there other problems with this approach?
Thank you.

musa

Über Member
I'm going to parade my ignorance ; please don't laugh too loudly. If you have a cheap pair of padded bib longs, is there any reason why you can't get more warmth by wearing some arctic-grade Helly Hansen long johns underneath? I know that commando is usually the order of the day, but the pad will take care of any seams in the LJs, won't it? Are there other problems with this approach?
Thank you.
good question, ive worn tights under bibs and not a problem but with LJ woudnt it become too warm? well on a long ride anyways

Lusso Max Repel or Super Roubaix will do the job - and at a fraction of the cost of some of the other brands being mentioned. Neither are 'waterproof' but it doesn't matter anyway. In 20+ years of winter riding, I've never felt like I needed waterproof bibs.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Good choice, they are lovely and warm!

Which colour did you go for? The high vis ones are currently about £100 on PBK, I bought some (don't like high vis, but who cares if they fit as well and feel so damn warm and snug as these longs do)!

amaferanga

Veteran
Waterproof bib tights just sound like a really bad idea to me. I know how unbreathable waterproof jackets are (even though they often claim to be breathable) so the idea of waterproof bib tights just sounds horrible to me. And I've never actually worried about having cold legs with roubaix bib tights. My hands, feet and face might leave me wishing I had something covering them that was warmer, but never my legs.

So my advice would be to buy a pair of roubaix bib tights that fit nicely and don't worry about getting the warmest or waterproof ones. Then buy some non-roubaix bib tights for the majority of winter days when it's not cold enough for roubaix bib tights. Then buy a couple of sets of leg warmers - one roubaix and one lycra - to wear with bib shorts and you should have the right leg wear for any winter day :thumbsup:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I agree on that "winter collection". I had a very limited set of kit and used to batter on in bib shorts and SS jerseys because I tend to "run warm", much to the amusement of my friends and fellow club mates, but having experienced some discomfort in my knees and mentioned it to a few people was advised to wrap up a bit so I gave in and bought the equivalent of your list. I have 2x pairs of arm and leg warmers, one pair plain lycra, one pair roubaix. A pair of warm bib tight's (The Castelli Sorpasso linked above). I didn't bother with non-warm (fleecy) longs, since a pair of comfy bib shorts with lycra leg warmers is essentially the same thing and more flexible.

Top half, a few base layers and a nice wind stopper(front) roubaix (back) jersey and a packable rain jacket.

Other than good gloves, overshoes and maybe some headwear that is very much all anyone will need for winter.

I do also have a superflous winter skinsuit! It was a completelly self indulgent purchase but quite frankly having tried one on, I couldn't not have one! It is the most comfortable piece of kit I own. The top half is fleecy inside and has 3/4 sleeves which are great for those in between days or for creating a superior seal with arm warmers when it is very cold, the shorts are simply very high quality bib shorts, very slippery and smooth. Being a 1 piece, with a full frontal zipper, there are no need for any bib straps to potentially rub your erect nippies and you can take a piss very easy. As I said, it was a non-essential purchase, I had the money and it was a nice bit of kit so I bought it without much thought, i have the tendency to do that occasionally. Practically speaking I would mostly use this for early season TT's and bad weather TT's, but it is also nice to wear on occasion just when you just want to feel good when the weather says you ought to feel otherwise!

doctornige

You will not be disappointed with Castelli Sorpassos. They are just amazing. I wear mine from about last month, right through winter.

1. I use Endura stealth tights when it's chucking it down, and
2. Pearl Azumi when its just cold and/or drizzly (their water resitance is an aspiration more than a fact). I'd recommend them both, but the Pearl anatomical cut is definitely more comfortable to ride in.

3. In the really cold winter a couple of years ago, I wore compression tights under bibs. They were fine.

Top Bottom