Warmest Winter Gloves

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Michelin

Regular
I know it's probably been asked loads of times but can anyone recommend a good pair of warm winter gloves that are not too bulky. I've just bought a pair of C5 GORE-TEX Thermo Gloves which are there warmest gloves but I'm not getting on with them and they don't really keep my hands as warm as what I was expecting but the biggest thing is they are too bulky for me so they have just been put aside as I won't use them again and I've only been out with them once. It is so difficult choosing the right pair as so many say this and that to make you think that they are all fantastic. So I'm looking for some toasty gloves that aren't too bulky. Cheers in advance

SWSteve

Guru
I use a pair of endurance neoprene gloves with a liner glove. the liners really help on cold days

I have loads of gloves including some cycle specific things from Polaris that are bloody awful.
Lucky I didn't pay full price for them.
Best approach I think is, as so often, layering.
Avoids terrible issues with hands sweating and with integral linings half pulling out/being a pig to get in.
My favoured winter approach.
Thinsulate wooly gloves - cost £5 to £7 from a market stall or Mountain Warehouse.
If colder some quality linings - Gore, Polaris or Decathlon. Cost say £7 to £15.
If even colder/wet, add a waterproof glove with no lining on top - this can be a cheapo waterproof glove with a lining you have ripped out.
On sizing, bear in mind that you have to allow of course for the fact that you are going to be putting gloves inside gloves.
This way you can adapt to changing conditions/wash layers separetely more easily and better, save the nightmare of trying to push integral linings back into the damn fingers.

I'd recommend trying things on with your various layers to check that all goes on easily and that you can still articulate your fingers easily - while reassuring shop/market stall that you aren't nicking anything.

Also worth looking at Aldi Ski gloves when available, maybe also with linings if needed.

Tom B

Guru
I have a big box full of gloves. I don't think you are going to get away from the warmest gloves being bulky.

I had some neoprene gloves and whilst warm they was really sweaty.

I have some altura thermal cycling gloves which are currently my favourite dry but cold gloves along with some unbranded Lobster Claws.

The lobster claws work really well a pair of fingers keep each other warm and you soon get used to the feeling. Like anything else use layers that you can adjust to conditions or even while you are out.

Over the years I've bought expensive gloves, really expensive gloves, mid range and Aldi / planet X gloves. I don't get on with sealskins I think they're over rated. Really like my Altura gloves. I tend to buy gloves off season when they're cheap.

Other advice is to always size up and go bigger rather than smaller. My theory is that too small gloves mean that your fingers stretch the holes and make them leak.
And liner gloves make a huge difference decathlon had hundreds of them in a big dump bin for about a quid last year.

Buffalo mitts are good but probably not for cycling.

I have been known to put XXL disposables over my dry weather but warm gloves in wet weather or when building snowman etc

What size are your c5s, are you selling them on?

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Ive not found any gloves that are totally satisfactory in the coldest of weather, so I tackle the problem from a different direction. I keep my flat barred bike fitted with hand shields (Breezeblockers, which have since gone out of business, but plenty of others are available) and once your hands are out of the airflow they're much warmer, to the point that I can get away with lighter weigh gloves and still be comfortable.

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I favour ski mittens. My controls are levers. It is more difficult to work triggers or brifters wil them. After having to take a glove off in the coldest night, a reusable chemical gel handwarmer helps a lot.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
Unconventional, unaesthetic and largely ignored, for my money you cannot beat sheepskin gloves such as these for serious winter riding: https://www.citycows.co.uk/mens-sheepskin-gloves-in-tan/
Surprisingly weatherproof, non-sweaty, brake- and gear-lever friendly and — above all — warm🔥🔥.

Top Bottom