Warming up and cooling down

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyclenic

I know i should do it, but not sure what to do, and how long before and after each ride.

say i do 15 miles. when sould i warm up, for how long, and what do i do?

same applies for afterwards!

:biggrin:

Fiona N

Veteran
On the way out, just starting off gently - literally giving your muscles time to warm up - will do nicely. So don't start straight up the 25% hill outside your house OK!
On the way home, I try (really, I do) to slow down and take the last couple of miles gently so my heart rate has dropped below 100 or so by the time I get to the front door (I never succeed as I usually end up racing some maniac driver through the slalom of parked cars - but the thought's there :boxing:). Then I do some gently stretching for about 10 minutes - usually in the warm - before going out to check / clean the bike, as required.

Nothing really sophisticated - but an ice bath is great if you've really had a hard ride :laugh:

jimboalee

I do some simple stretches before I get my kit on.

'Pushing down the wall', 'Good morning exercise' and 'Quads stretch'.

There is a saying - "The first ten miles are the worst", which is true.

During these ten miles you should be able to verbally describe the traffic without gasping for breath. You should be able to speak a full sentance ( eg, "Bus indicating left to stop at bus shelter" ) with a single lungfull.
If you cannot string this sentance together without a second breath, you are working too hard.

After the first ten miles, speaking becomes easy except on a hill where you will only be able to utter one cuss between breaths. :angry:

yello

I do both on the bike - taking it easy for the first and last 10 or 15 minutes.

If my muscles are feeling particularly tight after a ride then I will do some stretches but, as a rule, I don't bother. But I do always shower my legs in water as cold as I can stand for 30 seconds or so... I read somewhere it helps but I now actually do it because I like it!

Top Bottom