Warmshowers no longer free!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
HobbesOnTour
What's the solution? I think we would all agree that there is a cost involved in running the site, and I for one would like the site to remain ad free. Maybe charge guests a small amount when they accept the offer of a warm shower? If there are other options, please discuss.......

First of all, I accept there is a cost to providing the "service" but I would have no problem with advertising to fund it.
I'm communicating with you now on a "free" site although I am very happy to subscribe to support this community.

My problem is the flat fee concept which is prohibitive in parts of the world. Especially if someone wants only to host.

Also, as a long time user I'm well aware of problems with the sending and receiving of messages - a pretty fundamental function. I was also not impressed when they shut down activity on the Facebook page when people tried to use it when the site/app failed.
That is not the kind of "service" I'm willing to support.

There are questions about transparency on monies raised and the beneficieries of the expenditure.

In fact, try to communicate with the powers that be in relation to anything sensitive (such as their recent statement about the old app being hacked) and you will be ignored. Or at least I was. Data integrity and security is a hot button issue these days.

I'm aware of one case (several years ago now) where a user had a sexual assault conviction and was not removed. Similarly, another US case of a gentleman with "issues". Despite several scary and uncomfortable situations reported no action was taken. Paraphrasing, "that's what the feedback is for" was the response. Yes, I'm happy to leave real feedback on someone unbalanced who knows where I live.:banghead:

What was a community is now acting like a corporation. I don't like that.
Their most recent survey clearly outlines their vision to be a one stop shop for bike touring, hosting blogs, routing etc.
How does something like that even work? Put 10 cycletourists in a room, ask them to define any aspect of bike touring and you're likely to get at least 12 different responses (as per our differing views on advertising).

It's supposed to be a site to connect hosts and travellers. That's it. It should not be that expensive to operate. iOverlander is a map based, user driven app that is free to use (donations optional). I can open a location from iOverlander in Google Maps, Osmand (and if I'm feeling like living on the edge Komoot) amongst others and plot a route to it.
I had a query a few days ago and I got a polite response within 24 hours.

I don't want to be the kind of person who whinges and come up with nothing positive so I'll leave this here: A Warmshowers Alternative
https://www.trustroots.org/?circle=cyclists

People may also like to fill in the survey here https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdDrYb8AjccK2vRRTwt11YWpjawLTxiDMvhmyZjYZblVuNLcw/viewform

HugoC

I see that WS have now made it free to use their app in host only mode.

OP
OP
HobbesOnTour
I see that WS have now made it free to use their app in host only mode.
True, but if I'm reading it correctly, the message functionality is only available on the app or the website.
The website is almost intolerable to use on a phone.
It's a step in the right direction but again, for hosts outside of the US and Europe it's difficult.

Top Bottom