Warranties, are they in your list when looking for a new bike..?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I've never bought a bike that was expensive enough for me to be bothered about a warranty. Maybe the Brompton (£550 in 2009) but, when all the paint fell off after less than a year, received wisdom was that Brompton aren't interested in paint problems.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
It's not been a consideration for me. As it happens my Cervelo has a lifetime warranty. My Dolan had two - that was 15 years ago!!

There are plenty of manufacturers who do offer a lifetime warranty. I don't think I'd be very confident in getting a frame replaced after 15 years use and perhaps 50-60,000 miles. There's also the question of what is reasonable. A free replacement after 15 years? Seems an unreasonable expectation to me.

You are looking at an e-bike. If I was doing so I would be very concerned about the battery performance and warranty. This would be a prime consideration.

That made me think of another consideration. Kona offer a lifetime warranty on my frame, but they only manufactured it for one year before changing it. Whilst outwardly it looks the same, this year's model has a wider BB, thru axles and post mount hydraulics. All changes that render most of my components redundant if I had a new frame. All this in the space of three years, so the whole issue of a lifetime warranty on the frame is a bit moot.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
The only warranty I find meaningful is that on the frame and possibly forks, especially where the material is relatively new and susceptible (aluminium/carbon).

Some manufacturers offer a lifetime warranty on some of their frames, Giant, Trek and others. That is reassuring.

Warranties on other parts of the bike are a bit iffy as the retailers/manufacturers will often attribute fault to wear n tear or user error.

Velochris

Über Member
It is a big part for me. However, what also matters is how the manufacturer implements that policy.

I've never had to claim myself, but have heard good and bad stories about certain companies.

I know two people who have had Giant frames replaced no issues. However, I'm sure there are plenty of occasions when people have tried to claim on such warranties, only to be reused for ridiculous reasons or constraints.

gbb

Legendary Member
Not particually.
Bearing in mind the longer term warranty generally only covers the frame, ive only ever had one bike that failed, an older model Bianchi, which was replaced at under two years old.
Otherwise, when i was looking for a more expensive bike, i liked the Ribble spec and price but the carbon frame only had a limited warranty compared to the big manufacturers, Spesh, Trek etc etc...but it was a risk worth taking and i've not regretted it.

I suspect most people will buy based on bike type, spec and price...the warranty wouldnt be my primary thought....but that may be based on my reality, i'd just go buy something else or a new frame.

Do be aware of the limitations of warranties - especially lifetime warranties - they aren't what they seem - If you ride the bike for 12 years - and then the fame snaps - you probably won't be covered on any warranty. A lifetime warranty means the expected lifetime of the frame - this is set by the manufacturer.
Also don't think you are covered for crashes etc - you probably aren't (although you can buy such insurance).

IMO its to cover the worse case scenario - and even then a lot of comes down to the shop - are they going to have to send the frame to be inspected (sometimes overseas) to see if the warranty claim is valid.

I brought a bike with an RRP of £3.5k - Which the bottom bracket fell out - shop replaced - but then it creaked even more - back to manufacturer - who gave it a clean bill of health and told me up my maintenance routine !!! - a few weeks later creak returned - shop and manufacturer refused to help (bike was still under a year old).

I asked LBS to inspect - against my wishes he re bonded the BB into the carbon frame - I wasn't happy because IMO that was repair (paid for by me)- I was hoping for a new frame - TBF it hasn't creaked since.

DI2 battery same bike died some months later - replaced by shop no problem !!

I won't ever buy another Kuota\Spinergy - and sure warranty is a consideration - but often its just easier to bite the bullet and get the LBS to fix it. I think if you get a major frame problem at the very least you are going encounter delays - chance you take.

OP
OP
stoatsngroats
Thanks everyone, my concerns are eased!
I’ll not worry about warranty - I’ve never needed to use a warranty, but was a little concerned having seen some of the damage on the Tours over the years.... not that I intended to being that kind of cycling!

Johnno260

Veteran
Read the small print on warranties.
For example my Merida had a lifetime frame warranty, but I voided it due to getting my new group set fitted by an ex Merida stockist.
I argued he does the Merida training days etc but they didn’t care.

edit: tbh I wasn’t that concerned as more importantly the bike mechanic I trust and he does a cracking job.

Last edited:
I've never looked at warranty info. My Wilier is the Zero.6 lightweight model so all I noted was that the rider plus gear had to be no more than 80kg. Which wasn't an issue as I am 65kg. I think the warranty is 5 years but not actually sure.
I'm waiting on a Trek Madone SLR Project One but have no idea what the warranty is on that either. My KTM MTB no clue. My wife's eMTB no idea.
I've spent over 24,000 euros on these bikes in the last 14 months and not a warranty looked at. :laugh:

Top Bottom