Was I expecting too much from my £350 bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
I may be stating the obvious but when i thought my bottom bracket was on its way out by its annoying clicking it merely turned out to be a loose saddle that wasn't clamped up tightly on the saddle rails. With each stroke of the peddles i would hear a clicking noise which made me think it was the bottom bracket but it was actually my shifting weight on the saddle that causing it to move slightly creating the annoying sound.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
As @Kajjal said:
Front mech cable catching on pedals

Or in my case, the crank arm.

Drove me potty for miles, only happen on the inner ring and took me ages to figure out what it was.
Once I'd figured out what the clicking was, it took about 5 seconds to sort...

D

Deleted member 1258

As @Kajjal said:
Front mech cable catching on pedals

Or in my case, the crank arm.

Drove me potty for miles, only happen on the inner ring and took me ages to figure out what it was.
Once I'd figured out what the clicking was, it took about 5 seconds to sort...

Yes I've come across that one, the one that got me was my metal watch strap rattling against the handle bar on a bike with flopped and chopped bars, it was only a cool day needing a long sleeved jersey that enabled me to solve it.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yes I've come across that one, the one that got me was my metal watch strap rattling against the handle bar on a bike with flopped and chopped bars, it was only a cool day needing a long sleeved jersey that enabled me to solve it.
I wear a metal medical dog tag round my neck when out of the house. A couple of times I have been caught out by it swinging against the zip on my cycling jersey and making a tinkling noise which sounds like something is wrong on the bike.

OP
OP
nmfeb70

nmfeb70

I may be stating the obvious but when i thought my bottom bracket was on its way out by its annoying clicking it merely turned out to be a loose saddle that wasn't clamped up tightly on the saddle rails. With each stroke of the peddles i would hear a clicking noise which made me think it was the bottom bracket but it was actually my shifting weight on the saddle that causing it to move slightly creating the annoying sound.

Thanks, the seat was the first
I wear a metal medical dog tag round my neck when out of the house. A couple of times I have been caught out by it swinging against the zip on my cycling jersey and making a tinkling noise which sounds like something is wrong on the bike.

Thought I had another problem yesterday with a knocking noise from the front wheel.

Thought I had another problem yesterday with a knocking noise from the front wheel. Turned out to be the sensor from the mileage counter hitting the spokes. I had knocked it inwards while washing/drying the bike on Friday. I just wish my original problem was as simple! Many thanks for all the suggestions fellas, will keep you informed.

I feel left out now, I've never had one break. :cry:

Don't feel left out. Most 90-pound weaklings have never had an axle break on them.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
My first bike, a Cannondale synapse 105 road bike was £900 from a discount bike online store and it had 3 bottom brackets in 2 years. The original broke in the first 3 months and an expensive Praxis one only faired a year.

The cheap £20 replacement has been good 4 years and counting.

So even in well known brands and decent quality components, these things can go wrong.

Forgive my ignorance - what sort of bottom bracket.

For in some things cheaper (NOT cheap as in rock bottom poor) cycling componentry is often better unless you are a weight weenie training for the TdF.

Top Bottom