Was I just unlucky ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cookie56

Did the Evans Cheshire ride today. 56 miles in (2 to go) and thinking how well the bike was working, gear changes smooth, new tyres great and the inevitable happened - rear puncture :sad:

After a "bit of swearing", changed the tube. No sign of any damage or incursion into the tyre, inside smooth but can identify 2mm slit in tube.

New tube appears to be fine - so , was I unlucky, do tubes "fatigue" over say 50 miles distance ( cheap wiggle lifeline tube), or will there be another explanation? ( have ordered some shwalbe tubes now as they seem to have a good reputation)

Any thoughts ?

Did the Evans Cheshire ride today. 56 miles in (2 to go) and thinking how well the bike was working, gear changes smooth, new tyres great and the inevitable happened - rear puncture :sad:

After a "bit of swearing", changed the tube. No sign of any damage or incursion into the tyre, inside smooth but can identify 2mm slit in tube.

New tube appears to be fine - so , was I unlucky, do tubes "fatigue" over say 50 miles distance ( cheap wiggle lifeline tube), or will there be another explanation? ( have ordered some shwalbe tubes now as they seem to have a good reputation)

Any thoughts ?
You didn't say what the tyre is, I have covered nearly 5,000 miles since Aug and only two punctures, one a failed patch, the other a pinch puncture, so neither tyre or tube to blame, I run on Wilkinson tubes any for that matter. Tyres Continental Gatorskins, 700x23

OP
OP
Cookie56

Cookie56

Nope.

Where you unlucky? Yup.

As Nigelnaturist says we don't know what your tyres are, but some tyres are better than others at helping to prevent punctures.

If you tell us what you've got I'm sure you'll get recommendations for alternatives if necessary.
Hi
Tyres are brand new continental gp4000s (23 section) ... And part from the puncture had a great time :smile:

Hi
Tyres are brand new continental gp4000s (23 section) ... And part from the puncture had a great time :smile:
Great tyres IME, not the best for puncture protection but great tyres none the less. I have a pair hanging in the shed that I tend to use in the summer months, the rest of the time I stick to Continental Gatorskins, IME they are simply brilliant.

Do you have a track pump? If not then get one, IMO the single best thing for puncture protection is having the right pressure, and hand pumps simply don't cut it I'm afraid.

OP
OP
Cookie56

Cookie56

Great tyres IME, not the best for puncture protection but great tyres none the less. I have a pair hanging in the shed that I tend to use in the summer months, the rest of the time I stick to Continental Gatorskins, IME they are simply brilliant.

Do you have a track pump? If not then get one, IMO the single best thing for puncture protection is having the right pressure, and hand pumps simply don't cut it I'm afraid.
Hi - yeah I bought a blowjoe ? and checked them before going out - I'm using 105 psi at the moment which seems a decent balance.
I have a gatorskin and a marathon plus on my commuter - no danger of punctures there. Do like the gatorskins too.

nazzurro19

my buddy has gatorskins and gets a puncture every 3/4 weeks he got one in todays ride , maybe he has an issue but he hates the gatorskins

Top Bottom