Was it the aliens?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
So there's me, ambling into the woods with the hound, and I see this tree with a weird 5" wide strip of bark missing, all the way up, far as I can see...

upload_2018-11-5_3-12-40.png

Then I see the same thing on another tree, maybe 12' away...

upload_2018-11-5_3-13-21.png

On the way back, a park keeper gives me the story. Lightning strike. Down that one, then up that one.

Telegram discussion with friends, beginning with...

I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that ground is nearer the ground than back up the tree

Controversial

Water runs downhill and electricity always seeks the quickest and least resistant route to ground

That's what I was learned

My thinking too

I'm pretty sure those are like immutable laws given a normally-constituted environment

Having reached the ground, why would it set off going up another tree?

It wouldn't

Well, would it?

My daughter also expressed scepticism. She questioned the lack of scorch marks.

I don't know what to think. There were people standing around saying they'd heard it.

But

they could be aliens too.

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-5_3-16-27.png
    upload_2018-11-5_3-16-27.png
    412.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

machew

Veteran
i-am-not-saying.jpg

Globalti

Legendary Member
Seeing as lightning can track along the ground jumping cliffs and hollows (which is why you shouldn't hide under an overhang or in a hollow) it's possible, but I reckon more likely it was just multiple branches of the same strike. I've seen an entire oak tree completely stripped of its bark, amazing to see.

It could be.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
There's no scorch marks because when lightning hits a tree it boils off the water in it's path causing the bark to explode outwards. It's only if the tree is dry that it scorches or catches fire.

Top Bottom