Was this deer bad?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
bit hard to be sure but the deer goes down doesn't it?

mrben

I don't know whether this is just urban myth (rural myth?) but I heard that if you hit a deer, you _weren't_ allowed to take it home for food, but if you came across a recently deceased animal, you could. (I presume the theory being that people wouldn't intentionally hit animals for food)

Arch

Married to Night Train
mrben said:
I don't know whether this is just urban myth (rural myth?) but I heard that if you hit a deer, you _weren't_ allowed to take it home for food, but if you came across a recently deceased animal, you could. (I presume the theory being that people wouldn't intentionally hit animals for food)

Yes, if you hit it, and take it, it's poaching. But if you find it after someone else has hit it, it isn't. Or so I've heard.

Friend of mine lived in Scotland and a friend of his hit a deer. He stopped and pndered whether to chance it, for decent venison supper, when a police car happened along. The policeman said "were you going to take that home?" "oh, no, officer, no, not at all" blustered the chap. "Great!" said the copper, and hoiked it into the back of his car....

In another case (a bit OT) a landowner tipped the police off that there were fishermen taking salmon illegally from his river and if he came now, he'd catch 'em. Copper turned up and drove carefully and quietly down the track from the road, but with blue lights on, so the fisherman were long gone. Alas, the copper was later found to have a freezer full of salmon...

col

Legendary Member
There is one about sheep isnt there?something about,if you kill more than two ?

surfgurl

A friend of mine did his driving test in rural Devon and was asked the exact question. The official answer being if you hit it, you can't take it home. But if you see someone else hit it, or find it recently hit, then you can have it.

OP
OP
Brock

Brock

Presumably you'd be advised to move the carcass from the road to make the way safe for other vehicles though?
You could 'move' it off the road towards your house, a bit.

Tynan

Veteran
store it somewhere safe in your kitchen

perhaps with some herbs to stop it going off?

while you process it into a state where it can be disposed off?

with the help of some friends, wine and seasonal vegetables?

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Tynan said:
any idea what an entire fresh free range deer would cost you in Tesco?

they charge high for anything they consider a luxury item

It surprising cheep considering that they were importing them from New Zealand last time I looked... Why they had to go to NZ to get them when there are far to many running around on the Scottish hill I will never know.:biggrin:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
mrben said:

That is only true in England, where game (while it is alive) is the property of the land owner, and can not legally be killed without their permission. (or something like that is written in the Magna Carta).

In Scotland the law is different wild animals are all free no one owns them, but once they are dead they become the property of the land owner, so you can be prosecuted for poaching if you were to pick up a dead game animal.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
This reminds me of when I killed a very large wild bushpig in Zimbabwe. Eeesh, that was some thump at 100km/hour. My mate, who's farm it was, took the pig off to the farm butchery and sold it.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
LOL! Perhaps not, this was on a gravel road in my company Mazda tree-to-tree. That was the best 4x4 vehicle I ever drove, I used to go paragliding, using that car to get up the hills, and even once got up a slick and slippery wet gravel road when my mate in his (real) 4x4 pickup got stuck. He was gutted when he saw my car at the top!

The really amazing bit was when I got back to work on Monday, and the business owner's Mum asked me for the car keys, as they had a new car for me. I had a bit of embarrassed explaining to do there. Jammy or what!

Top Bottom