Was this my own fault?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nuttall1991

Giving you the wrong reg and blaming you? what a horrible, stupid W****R! I hope you rinse him for all he's worth!
It's awful when you get your confidence knocked like that, I still get apprehensive at a certain roundabout...
Hope you are ok and are on the mend.

Laurence

OP
OP
T

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
Thanks so much for your replies. I'm feeling a bit sorry for myself today. Got loads of bruises I didn't even notice yesterday and really restricted movement in my arm. My husband is going to have a look at my bike for me today to make sure it's okay.

The basket is ruined though - they cost about £35 to buy new. I haven't got a clue how I would go about claiming for such a small amount and a few bruises - and a day lost at work - has anyone ever had to try and claim for such a small amount? It's almost not worth the hassle but I feel a bit annoyed that I should have to shell out the money when I didn't really do anything wrong.

Thanks so much also for the advice re primary behind the bus and the detail about how the driver would have seen it. Also for the advice re braking. I know the principles of it but in the split second you've got to react it was all instinctive for me -- including putting my wrist out.

I haven't got a clue how to train myself to brake better! I've been cycling in and out of work for nearly 14 years now, every day and this is my fifth accident. I learn something from all of them and feel like I am pretty careful and aware but it's so hard to be aware of every single possibility isn't it?

I find that they always change your riding style a bit - first time I was offed was when I was turning right - was hit from behind - I NEVER EVER turn right any more! Second time a car jumped the lights on a toucan crossing - I never go over those without checking that all the cars have stopped. Third time was doored - keep out of that zone now - fourth time I came round a blind corner and hit another cyclist doing the same - I go really really slow round any blind corners now (that one was my own fault!) .. and now this!! :sad:

Perhaps I need to rethink how I get to work - I'm getting a bit old for being splattered all over the road these days! :sad:

vickster

Legendary Member
If you wish to pursue any sort of claim, get yourself to the gp, check over and injuries documented, especially any new ones not noted in A&E

Heal well, I got knocked off a week ago and am hurting so I can certainly sympathise :hugs:

You could join British cycling or CTC and get some legal advice, assume you have the drivers details. Also, have you told the police, if injured it should be reported

vickster

Legendary Member
This, the police can determine fault if any. You'll need an incident number to pursue any claim too

GuardTwin

He scared himself too because you fell off due to his actions.

He is in the wrong, if your natural reaction is to hit the breaks then not initially means something is up and your body is trying to reduce the chance of harm. I had times where i hit the break, the back slides and I had no thought in doing so but my body decided to do it as I could of hit the vehicle infront! I think it is experience and luck when it comes to how hard you hit the breaks and balancing until you stop, I fell off before as a teen with this sort of situation.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
You can claim direct from his insurers - details for this purpose from the Motor Insurers' Database.

I know of two people who have done this and had their claim - a few hundred in each case - paid with little difficulty.

http://www.askmid.com/

Top Bottom