washing dishes...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
....is more dangerous than cycling :biggrin:

Number of stitches caused by riding a bike = 0
number of stitches caused by washing dishes = 3

QED

Stuck sponge in tall glass. Whizzed it round with three fingers on sponge and pinky finger tracking outside around the rim. Unfortunately the glass had cracked and broken on the rim and the webby bit between my little finger and the next caught it. I said Ow! but it didn't hurt so much and I pulled it out to examine it. Blood streamed freely and a DEEP gash was evident.

Wife said "Stitches" I said musingly, "What about if I put a plaster on and then plaster those two fingers together?" No! "Stitches" came the reply.

So off to the docs with son No.1 who was allowed to cut the thread and babble about his own stitches experience whilst telling me with relish which bits would hurt and which wouldn't :biggrin:

domtyler

Über Member
I feel like passing out just thinking about it! :biggrin:

longers

Legendary Member
Nasty. That's nearly happened to me but sixth sense kicked in and I managed to avoid getting cut.

Presumably you've been relieved of washing up duties for the duration?

Had 16 stitches in a tasty arm wound a couple of years ago, I cut my arm on a dowelling jig on a copy lathe. My fault. It never hurt at the time or while the stitches went in but only when the local wore off could I feel where he'd put the stitches.

Melvil

Sounds horrible! The sink is full of sharp things hidden under the suds...

(Although last month I got ten stitches in my gums so I have some idea of general stitching horror!)

domtyler

Über Member
Couple of years ago, wife had gone away for the weekend, got a load of beers in. Went out to stick something in the bin and inside porch door blew shut! :biggrin::biggrin:!

Went to try and force the Yale lock by a quick blow with the flat of my hand, missed and hand went straight through one of the panes of glass, multiple lacerations up arm. Went round corner to local shop and queued for a bandage with blood pouring onto the floor! :biggrin:

Went home and patched it up with bandage, no stitches = big ugly scar!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Sellotape - that stuff they use these days - always insist on it....BUT it's in an awkward place yours...bugger.... not on the bike as well - might get you out of doing the dishes for a week...or more if you milk it.........:biggrin:

Pete

I remember a wine glass in the bowl suddenly transforming into two half-wine-glasses. Cut straight through the rubber glove and deep into the flesh. I didn't bother with Casualty, just bandaged it up and hoped for the best...

I can still see the C-shaped scar on my right index finger if I look carefully and press on the skin near the knuckle. Thing is, this all happened over thirty years ago...

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I tried the 'I need to keep it dry for two days' routine, thinking dishes. Wife handed me two new washing up gloves :biggrin:

It hurts now. I've dulled the pain with three beers but it's wearing off and I need another :biggrin:

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Speicher said:
Is this going to in any way affect your ability to find more pictures for the Lycra thread? :biggrin:

:biggrin:

It wouldn't: Little finger rests comfortably on outside of mouse. However, I'd rather hoped A.N. Other would take that on aka Me and Hairy Jock's recent example.

Worryingly I have just overheard the bedtime conversation in which wife (medical), discussed removing 1st stitch as an example followed by son No.1 removing 2nd and son no.2 removing 3rd :biggrin:

Not keen on this. May well slope off to the surgery next Wednesday morning unnoticed.

i did the same thing with the tall glass breakage when i was living in a shared house back in the late 80's. got me out of the washing up for a couple of weeks!

simonali

Guru
I have a scar on my index finger from when I broke a wine glass washing up. Mucho blood, so drove myself to casualty where I spent many hours in a waiting room, only to come home and get a bollocking for leaving the washing up half done!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
On a related note, baths are more dangerous than bikes too.

Injury sustained on bike
Spectacular off, busted collarbone, 3 days off work, right as rain 4 weeks later.

Injury sustained when getting out of bath
Wet foot slipped on floor, dislocated shoulder, 4 weeks off work (during the 2006 Tour:biggrin:) and a couple of months of physio. And it really really hurt.;)

Top Bottom