Wasp

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cab

Just got wasped. Went out for a lunch time ride, just a short nip in to town before a pootle about the fen, got half way down the road and the little blighter must have got caught in my collar. Stung me on the left side of my throat. Very sore at the time.

twowheelsgood

I sympathise Cab, Commuting home on friday, got one of the blighters between my lip and teeth. Next thing, I heard an angry buzz and a terrible pain in my gums. I fortunately managed to spit the bugger out. I looked more ridiculous than Lesley Ash over the weekend with my swollen lips.

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

twowheelsgood said:
I sympathise Cab, Commuting home on friday, got one of the blighters between my lip and teeth. Next thing, I heard an angry buzz and a terrible pain in my gums. I fortunately managed to spit the bugger out. I looked more ridiculous than Lesley Ash over the weekend with my swollen lips.

Ow, ow, ow! Okay, I got off lightly in comparison, and I'll stop feeling sorry for myself! :blush:

That sounds really painful.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Boo for wasps.

Was it on here that someone had got one trapped in the vents of his cycling helmet? I was musing on how unlikely that was to happen when the same thing happened to me descending a hill in Normandy :/

twowheelsgood

Actually, in 10 years of cycling this was the first time this happened to me. It wasn't so much the pain, it was more the shock of it happening. Thankfully I wasn't in traffic at the time, i could well see something like this causing an accident.

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

Being stung in the gob, I can definitely see that causing an accident!

Being stung on the neck or throat, its sore at the time and sore later on, but not bad enough for me to have been swerving around. To tell you the truth I didn't even stop, I just cursed my bad luck and continued in to town (where I went in to a shop and had a look at the swelling spot in a mirror), then got back to work and put some antiseptic on it.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
bonj said:
you must have been going quite slow - I've heard wasps never sting fast moving objects. :blush:

she would have been, i wasn't riding with her at the time.

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

bonj said:
i didn't mean you I meant cab.

I wasn't going very fast, I was coasting along the road en route to waiting at the T junction at the end of the road behind (if memry serves) three cars. No point hurrying to get to somewhere you'll have to wait!

The little blighter got stuck in the collar of my waterproof though, so it probably would have been stinging me however fast I was going.

A while back I had a maybug or some such other large beasty, 'twas a bit hard to tell from the mush alonexx(, hit my visor at 70mph. The smack! it made when it hit was quite something, as was the ridiculous amount of gunk that went all over the visor. I had to pull over and clean it off before I could continue riding!! Made me glad I am not some hairy HD rider with a suicide cap, imagine getting that between the eyes!

I've also had a bumblebee bounce of the left lens of my cycling glasses, that could have been really bad had I not been wearing them :blush:

cupoftea

A long time ago I was on a group ride and a wasp flew into one of my friends cycling top. It stung him 5 or 6 times all the time he was desperately trying to stop and swat the wasp. I’m afraid we laughed

Top Bottom