Wast Water area

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris-suffolk

I've a week away in the Lakes coming up, staying near Wast Water.

Has anybody got any good MTB routes in the area, or just as important, routes to avoid. Not into anything too technical, and also not into walking / carrying bike, so trails that can be ridden by somebody with average skills.

Thanks.

Ajax Bay

Guru
You're pretty limited, to be frank: that valley of the Lakes is for walking.
The track over Sty Head (pass) to Seathwaite and return is ridable for 3/4 of the distance. Steep steep bits are the pull up to the pass going east and descending to Stockley Bridge too; and vice versa.

presta

Guru
You could try the Burnmoor Corpse Road over to Boot, at 22% it's not anywhere near as steep as the Styhead (33%) or Black Sail (52%) passes, and as I recall, it's mostly grassy, which can't be said for the other two. Miterdale is a pretty valley, very lonely and secluded, you'll be unlikely to see anyone else, but I don't recall what the going is like underfoot/wheel TBH. Don't be tempted by the lakeshore path along the bottom of the screes unless you want to be clambering over boulders the size of cars.

PK99

Legendary Member
You could try the Burnmoor Corpse Road over to Boot, at 22% it's not anywhere near as steep as the Styhead (33%) or Black Sail (52%) passes, and as I recall, it's mostly grassy, which can't be said for the other two. Miterdale is a pretty valley, very lonely and secluded, you'll be unlikely to see anyone else, but I don't recall what the going is like underfoot/wheel TBH. Don't be tempted by the lakeshore path along the bottom of the screes unless you want to be clambering over boulders the size of cars.

I used to live in Miterdale, indeed it is pretty.

The going depends on recent weather!!

Ajax Bay

Guru
The route over to Boot is fine, with a carry/push up to the col. But the length of Wastwater can only be ridden on the road so all excursions to Ennerdale and Eskdale have more road than not - albeit it's a wonderful road and wide enough to pass and allow cars to pass.
I think the climb up, over and down Black Sail really isn't for riding, but it does open the forest road from the YH all the way down and then road to Ennerdale Bridge and (road) up over Cold Fell (nicer without a head wind and rain! damhikt) back via Calder Bridge and (fast main road) Gosforth to Wasdale.

Top Bottom