Wasting money

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G3CWI

Veteran
We have been asking for bike stands outside some local shops in Macclesfield. Instead what we have got is some useless signs. Cost about the same. [rude words deleted].

Drago

Legendary Member
that sign is clearly aimed at car drivers, yet is so small, high off the ground and far from the road that no car driver is ever likely to read it. Breathtaking waste of cash.

OP
OP
G3CWI

G3CWI

Veteran
that sign is clearly aimed at car drivers, yet is so small, high off the ground and far from the road that no car driver is ever likely to read it. Breathtaking waste of cash.
Such fun I am having pointing all this junk out. The signs are new. Went up a few months ago. I was unpopular when I described them as pointless virtue signalling. I did try to get them removed as possibly being illegal.

The sign cost a few hundred pound? Or signs cost a few hundred pounds?
I think the stands would be very good value for a few hundred pounds. The signs should make sure the driver is NOT paying to the road in front of him.

OP
OP
G3CWI

G3CWI

Veteran
I'm ambivalent about stands. On one hand they make for more secure parking, on the other hand they're not as, well, handy. I leave mine outside whichever shop I'm going in.
Agreed the signs are a waste of money.
Fair point. But having the choice would be nice. Like most small towns Macc has a number of small local shopping hubs. As far as I can recall not one has any bike stands. I will be making a video later this week "A trip to buy some milk....". Should amuse the locals.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Fair point. But having the choice would be nice. Like most small towns Macc has a number of small local shopping hubs. As far as I can recall not one has any bike stands. I will be making a video later this week "A trip to buy some milk....". Should amuse the locals.
True, it's good to have a choice as, understandably, not every shop wants a bike against their window and few bikes have stands. Good luck in your quest.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
True, it's good to have a choice as, understandably, not every shop wants a bike against their window and few bikes have stands. Good luck in your quest.
When we had a shop we definitely did not want bikes leaning against it.
I had just painted the outside of my workshop when a touring cyclist came along and started doing some repairs and scraping all my fresh paint. He could not understand why I was not amused.

Drago

Legendary Member
Who are the signs actually aimed at?
They legally need to be readable by the group(s) they are aimed at.
A10 pilots fly low enough to read them, but I'm not sure that anyone armed with a Vuncan cannon firing DU tipped slugs is going to pay much heed to safety notices.

Couple of quid per sign more like

I suspect a lot more. There will have been meetings, where everyone present is drawing a salary. Once that isnout the way it goes to their in house design and reprographics team, who all draw salaries and use expensive equipment, and paid for materials, to make the signs. Then another employee, also on the payroll, has to use tools, a vehicle, and draws a salary while doing so, to go out and fit them. Properly accounted for right back to conception each sign is liable to have a 'cost'of tens or hundreds of pounds over the mere value of the materials used to manufacture them.

Top Bottom