Watch out, Bambi!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
Went for a nice sunny winter ride on my trusty steed…

23A7BBD7-C084-4560-AD09-52EF950CC6F0.jpeg

But check out the sign. Run, Bambi! 🦌

A little closer…

677DD18C-1C49-40D2-9CBD-DE04F818EED6.png

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

Went for a nice sunny winter ride on my trusty steed…

View attachment 630269
But check out the sign. Run, Bambi! 🦌

A little closer…

View attachment 630276

At least they've notified people of the cull, looks like they need to introduce some natural predators to control deer numbers.

T4tomo

Guru
Even as an animal lover, I feel the deer numbers are getting out of hand and could do with a cull in many areas. As long as it's done professionally and humanely. It's probably actually better for the deer population in the long term anyway.
yes indeed, particular in Scotland / UK where they have no natural predators bar humans.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Culling deer seems to be a standard practice in deer management. But why have I just visualised a DM article on reading @Mo1959's post. "Even as a former cyclist, I feel the cyclist numbers are getting out of hand and could do with a cull in many areas. As long as it's done professionally and humanely. It's probably actually better for the cyclist population in the long term anyway."

Last edited:

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Occupational hazard riding the forest trails around Northern Germany. The trails are dotted with hundreds of these hunters stools, from which the hunters will shoot Wild Boar and Deer, though I think they are leaving the wolves alone for now.

I've had a couple of occasions now though, when I've accidentally cycled into the middle of a shoot, the hunters have taped off the start of the main trail leading into where they are shooting, but failed to tape off the other, smaller trails, leading into the area and I've subsequently cycled down these smaller trails and into the area they are using.

On another more amusing note, you will often find wildlife cameras strapped to trees on the edge of a clearing, which the hunters use to monitor the comings and goings, prior to a shoot. Top Tip - If your bladder is a bit full and you want to stop and water the plants, it's always best to check for the presence of these cameras before you unzip! :whistle:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Even as an animal lover, I feel the deer numbers are getting out of hand and could do with a cull in many areas. As long as it's done professionally and humanely. It's probably actually better for the deer population in the long term anyway.
This happened on Mull a few years ago and my wildlife pal who was a Forestry Ranger shot hundreds. Even after the cull there were far too many left. My veg garden has 7ft high secure fencing all round and even then they were still trying to get in. IMO they are vermin in the numbers involved and are bold enough to go into domestic gardens in the town.
Driving for an early or late ferry is also a great hazard and when my son was commuting to work he hit several with his van.
Not local but he later commuted every week from Oban to Great Yarmouth and hit one on a motorway somewhere near Birmingham one night. He had a large company pickup and bounced it into the other carriageway where a Transit van got covered in blood.:ohmy:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
A clean shot to the head does sound preferable to being chased over several miles by wolves, dragged down and them starting to eat you as you choke or bleed out

But then that's just me
They do not go for head shots as far as I know but aim more for the heart. Professionals know the exact spot and get an instant kill.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Occupational hazard riding the forest trails around Northern Germany. The trails are dotted with hundreds of these hunters stools, from which the hunters will shoot Wild Boar and Deer, though I think they are leaving the wolves alone for now.

View attachment 630288

I've had a couple of occasions now though, when I've accidentally cycled into the middle of a shoot, the hunters have taped off the start of the main trail leading into where they are shooting, but failed to tape off the other, smaller trails, leading into the area and I've subsequently cycled down these smaller trails and into the area they are using.

On another more amusing note, you will often find wildlife cameras strapped to trees on the edge of a clearing, which the hunters use to monitor the comings and goings, prior to a shoot. Top Tip - If your bladder is a bit full and you want to stop and water the plants, it's always best to check for the presence of these cameras before you unzip! :whistle:
We used to have the pee problem with cameras set up to detect anybody stepping off the trail in case they accidentally saw a sea eagle without being an RSPB member.:laugh:

Top Bottom