Watch out for latest scam

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Got a text from someone telling me they were from Amazon and that someone had tried to buy something on my account, which had looked suspicious. I called the number and was put through to what sounded like a busy call room. Someone tried to guide me into installing AnyDesk on my work laptop, which did seem suspicious. I could not do it because it was a work laptop and I do not have administrator right to allow me to install software. I also have a PC, but that runs Linux. Call went dead, I was suspicious so I requested a call from Amazon and they confirmed it was a scam. What made this scam sound more convincing was that it seemed to be made from a busy call room (she was foreign though).

postman

Legendary Member
Well done for spotting that and giving us the heads up.We have been away for two nights cleaning at the in laws,i got three texts about parcel deliveries,even though i have not ordered anything.

delb0y

Legendary Member
SWMBO has just had someone book a hotel room in Amsterdam on her credit card, a card that is rarely used. I guess the number and CVC code must have been on some data that was leaked somewhere. Credit card company have issued a new card and all that, but worth checking on-line balances a few times a week, I reckon.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Times like this I am pleased I don't buy, bank, book, pay, insure for anything online. I never ever get calls.

Got a text from someone telling me they were from Amazon and that someone had tried to buy something on my account, which had looked suspicious. I called the number and was put through to what sounded like a busy call room. Someone tried to guide me into installing AnyDesk on my work laptop, which did seem suspicious. I could not do it because it was a work laptop and I do not have administrator right to allow me to install software. I also have a PC, but that runs Linux. Call went dead, I was suspicious so I requested a call from Amazon and they confirmed it was a scam. What made this scam sound more convincing was that it seemed to be made from a busy call room (she was foreign though).
I bet it was a hot babe in Colombia just like in Clear and Present Danger, switching on cigar factory background noise to recieve calls.

I got the call from Amazon (allegedly) saying I'd ordered an iphone and to download anydesk from the app store in order to cancel it.
Hilarious. Like I would have to give them control over my smartphone to cancel the order.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I got the call from Amazon (allegedly) saying I'd ordered an iphone and to download anydesk from the app store in order to cancel it.
Hilarious. Like I would have to give them control over my smartphone to cancel the order.
That must be the same one.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
It shows how easy it is, if someone like you who has a corporate laptop can be utterly fooled then what hope does confuses and compliant Granny and Grandpa have. My late Grandfather was head of HR at a major insurance company in his working days, that did not stop him handing over £20k to a ‘Policeman’ who knocked at the door needing the money to setup a sting.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
It shows how easy it is, if someone like you who has a corporate laptop can be utterly fooled then what hope does confuses and compliant Granny and Grandpa have. My late Grandfather was head of HR at a major insurance company in his working days, that did not stop him handing over £20k to a ‘Policeman’ who knocked at the door needing the money to setup a sting.

Different generation who were taught to always trust authority

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
My standard technique with this kind of phone call usually goes as follows:
  • Opening introductions… followed by
  • ME: You do speak with a really interesting accent. Tell me, would you be a Muslim, or perhaps a Hindu?
  • SCAMMER: Oh no, I am a Christian.
  • ME: Interesting. What do think about the Christian teachings concerning honesty, deceit and cheating?
  • SCAMMER:… (Phone goes dead.)
Obviously, no matter what religion the scammer claims to profess insert Muslim/Hindu etc. teachings as the case may be; all the mainstream traditions promote honesty. Interestingly, up to now, all the scammers claim to be Christian and none of them tries to brazen it out. I suspect I might be enjoying the anguished silence of a guilty conscience — an experience both rewarding and sad.

Anyone who wants you to use AnyDesk is asking you to allow them to take control of your computer and all data on it
This will potentially include all passwords, and bank info

if anyone asks this do not do it - best thing is to just hang up - no reputable company would ever do this

BTW AnyDesk seems to be the one of choice at the moment - there are lots of others, it used to be TeamViewer

If they have had access in this way change ALL your password immediatly and ring your bank (look the number up - don;t trust what anyone says - it may be on your debit card) to check

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I used to get sales calls before computers as we know them were invented made by a female with the noise of small children in the background. It appeared to be a woman working from home as unable to afford childcare and thus get a sympathy sale of I think typewriter paper.
I am afraid I lacked sympathy.:whistle:

Top Bottom