Watch out for rocks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
apparently they appear out of nowhere

_88984362_stone.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-35918470

It was on BBC news this morning, with one presenter claiming surely its something you cant miss and the other saying that she might have hit it...if all the street lights had gone out, while the other presenter stared at her.

Apparently a car driver hit it and claimed compensation. Sounds a funny story though it does illustrate the attitude that people can find it understandable to go too fast to avoid hitting a rock but wouldnt have been as understanding if it was a person.

The council is looking into ways to make it safe, suely the answer is obvious, a hi viz jacket!

rugby bloke

Veteran
Surely the answer is to call up the grab truck, pick up the rock and take it back to its natural habitat ! Unless it is going to remain as piece of conceptual art ?

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
The rock has been in place for 11,000 years, in fact, the road was built around it! If anything, the road or woman should be put elsewhere.
An old mate of mine used to take a rest there on his way home from the local pub

:cheers:

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Or someone getting their rocks off..........

BTW is that phrase in common parlance these days?

I hear you are getting boulder these days with your comments.

I would hope that not only did they turn her claim for compensation down but they referred it to the police to check if she was using her mobile phone at the time

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
If the road has been built around it im guessing its wide enough for vehicles to pass either side, a simple solution would be to make a central reservation/ place where people can stand around the stone .
On similar news an 18 month toddler was run over by a bus locally , the grandparent is calling for the road to be made safe , now i feel sorry for the child and i hope it makes a swift recovery and im all for making the road safer but...........
If according to the article they new the road has fast traffic why was the child in a situation where it could run onto a road in the 1st place ? I would have ensured the child was either in a pushchair or on a leash in such a situation and i would ensure the child was pavement side so it would be further from the road .

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If the road has been built around it im guessing its wide enough for vehicles to pass either side, a simple solution would be to make a central reservation/ place where people can stand around the stone .
On similar news an 18 month toddler was run over by a bus locally , the grandparent is calling for the road to be made safe , now i feel sorry for the child and i hope it makes a swift recovery and im all for making the road safer but...........
If according to the article they new the road has fast traffic why was the child in a situation where it could run onto a road in the 1st place ?
You think thousands of pounds should be spent building a kerb island to help protect people who won't avoid driving themselves into a rock that's been there for years (give or take the legend of occasional trips up the hill to roll itself back down to the same location), but no money should be spent helping protect children from buses rushing to catch up to increasingly unrealistic profit-driven timetables? :eek:

Top Bottom