Watching the TdF in France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
I am thinking of going to France to watch a few stages of the Tour maybe some of the mountain stages but maybe spectate at flatter points on a stage where crowds and traffic will be less. Would it be worth taking a drone to get some great footage or would they be banned? Sorry if stupid question, but just thinking about it. Don't want to end up in a French police cell facing a big guy pulling on his rubber gloves. Gulp.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Bear in mind the helicopters - you might not be allowed.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I suspect drones won't be allowed and I wouldn't mess with French plod.

If you want to watch a stage and don't want to go to the mountains, I'd either go a stage depart (but busy) or watch one of the cobbled stages, otherwise it'll be a bit blink-and-you'll-miss-it. By far the best way to get to a spectator spot is by bike. I've only ever ridden to stages but trying to drive close to the route looks like a pain in the balls.

Take a drone, Crankers and when questioned, indicate to the Gendarme he smells and has a big snozzle.....

.....The departs are seriously busy but the atmosphere is good. TT or TTT's are actually good as a spectator. Never been to a mtn stage but bank on being there a few days before I reckon.

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
Sorry for the muppetry of my question I did realise it was a bit stupid when I saw all the helicopters that follow the Tour and obviously bring TV footage. Don't fancy a burly French plod with blue gloves eyeing me up.

They're normally in good spirits though. My mate took a picture of two of them and they came over to have a look. Cue one of them indicating to his colleague he looked a bit fat and it was time to go on a diet. My French was too poor to get his reply!

Top Bottom