Watching the TdF in France

Discussion in 'Pro Cycling (Road and Track Racing)' started by Crankarm, 7 Jul 2018.

1. Crankarm

Crankarm Guru

I am thinking of going to France to watch a few stages of the Tour maybe some of the mountain stages but maybe spectate at flatter points on a stage where crowds and traffic will be less. Would it be worth taking a drone to get some great footage or would they be banned? Sorry if stupid question, but just thinking about it. Don't want to end up in a French police cell facing a big guy pulling on his rubber gloves. Gulp.

2. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Bear in mind the helicopters - you might not be allowed.

3. Bollo

Bollo Chaaaaaa!

I suspect drones won't be allowed and I wouldn't mess with French plod.

If you want to watch a stage and don't want to go to the mountains, I'd either go a stage depart (but busy) or watch one of the cobbled stages, otherwise it'll be a bit blink-and-you'll-miss-it. By far the best way to get to a spectator spot is by bike. I've only ever ridden to stages but trying to drive close to the route looks like a pain in the balls.

4. Crackle

Crackle Pah

Take a drone, Crankers and when questioned, indicate to the Gendarme he smells and has a big snozzle.....

.....The departs are seriously busy but the atmosphere is good. TT or TTT's are actually good as a spectator. Never been to a mtn stage but bank on being there a few days before I reckon.

5. OP
    OP
    Crankarm

Crankarm Guru

Sorry for the muppetry of my question I did realise it was a bit stupid when I saw all the helicopters that follow the Tour and obviously bring TV footage. Don't fancy a burly French plod with blue gloves eyeing me up.

6. Crackle

Crackle Pah

They're normally in good spirits though. My mate took a picture of two of them and they came over to have a look. Cue one of them indicating to his colleague he looked a bit fat and it was time to go on a diet. My French was too poor to get his reply!

7. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

The Gendarmes aren't to be messed with but seem quite relaxed. Spain's Guardia Civil on the other hand...

8. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice