water bladders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andym

Über Member
Are there any? I'm in the process of returning one, a Source bladder, after correspondence with the manufacturer who reckons it shouldn't taste of plastic but it does.

I've been using Source bladders for years. To me, there's no plastic taste. Maybe you have a particularly sensitive sense of taste?

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I've been using Source bladders for years. To me, there's no plastic taste. Maybe you have a particularly sensitive sense of taste?

I don't really. That's why I relied on a couple of other people to confirm my taste. I might have been unlucky. In the end I didn't return it. I think I will clean it with baking soda and try it again and if that doesn't work I don't think I'll bother with a water bladder and stick to bottles.

Never tasted plastic with my Platypus..

I bet I will now you've mentioned it....

Never again will I use a cheap one after my day out was ruined by a 2 litre bladder leaking in my rucksack on the way out for a walk, spillng most of it in my car footwell and ruining my map, a guidebook, and thankfully not my camera as that was in the topmost pocket - if it wasn't that would have gone too

The Jayler

I've had a Camelbak Octive 8 for 3 years and never had a plastic taste from the bladder. I do though drink juice from it.
My mate bought a cheap one from Togg24 and was nasty. Simply blackcurrent flavoured plastic.
I'd recommend a Camelbak anytime. On my secomd bladder now.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I can confirm that using an overnight solution of baking soda, two teaspoons, has muchly improved the taste. It still goes plasticky after an hour or so but I'm thinking of treating it again and see if it further improves. Needless to say the manufacturer only recommended to use lemon juice and would probably not recommend baking soda but as I decided I wasn't going to return this but try the baking soda method, it doesn't matter.

Top Bottom