Water butts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Night Train

Maker of Things
In terms of usable water pressure, I did think of putting a tank in the loft and then filling that from a gutter, straight into the tank. It would only work as my loft rooms have a floor about 3' below the gutter line.
I wanted to plumb it into the toilet cysterns in the floors below.

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I have just looked at the water butt in the back garden. The connector to the downpipe is about 20" above the tap, outlet? So why doesn't my the top blow off the water butt when it gets full?

I am not questionning your kind advice on this, just trying to puzzle it out?

Ah ha :wacko: is that because the hose connecting the downpipe and the hole in the butt and the downpipe are all on the same level :wacko: ?

U

User482

On a related note, B&Q sell water butt pumps for about £30. Very handy for hosing down the car & bikes, and you need less detergent because the water is soft. No dried water spots on the car windows either.

Davidc

Guru
Speicher said:
I have just looked at the water butt in the back garden. The connector to the downpipe is about 20" above the tap, outlet? So why doesn't my the top blow off the water butt when it gets full?

I am not questionning your kind advice on this, just trying to puzzle it out?

Ah ha :whistle: is that because the hose connecting the downpipe and the hole in the butt and the downpipe are all on the same level :smile: ?

Yes

The idea is that that the diverter is also the overflow. When the butt is full the water level in the butt = water level in the diverter = the height of the top of the plastic bit in the middle that lets water into the bit of the downpipe that goes on downwards. Any more water which comes down just spills over and down the drain instead of heading for the water butt.

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Davidc said:
The problem with putting the diverter higher than the butt is what happens when the butt's full. The lid lifts up and the water goes over the sides!

It does tend to fill a bit faster though, and the pipe between the two cleans itself a bit better.

This is obviously getting too technologicalised for me.:biggrin: I misread your above post as meaning that the diverter cannot be higher than the (inlet to) the Butt, but you meant the top of the butt. (I must try to read scientific posts more closely):smile:

Top Bottom