Water filters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Never seen the point in a water filter - always just used a kettle or whatever and that is that

Until the last year or so

something has changed and for the last year or more my cups of tea have been getting more and more filthy after only one cup
It varies and sometimes the cup is only a bit dirty - but all the way down the sides

Anyway - a few hours ago I made a cuppa and there was a film of scum on the surface that was moving down the side as I drank it and caoting the side with what looked like an oily film of scum

So I have decided that enough is enough and gone out and got a water filter jug

Just tried it - cup is as clean at the end as it was before I made the tea!
no film - no scum - no oily stuff

Anyone else got any opinions on the best, things to avoid and/or whether or not this is a one off and/or whether or not they are worth it

vickster

Legendary Member
Never seen the point in a water filter - always just used a kettle or whatever and that is that

something has changed and for the last year or more my cups of tea have been getting more and more filthy after only one cup
It varies and sometimes the cup is only a bit dirty - but all the way down the sides

Anyway - a few hours ago I made a cuppa and there was a film of scum on the surface that was moving down the side as I drank it and caoting the side with what looked like an oily film of scum

Anyone else got any opinions on the best, things to avoid and/or whether or not this is a one off and/or whether or not they are worth it

I’ve used a brita of some sort for years, cartridges can be pricy but as a single user, I don’t change every month, often a deal out there. Hard water where I am, kettles don’t get very furred, worthwhile for me. I can use the same tea mug for multiple bevvies through the day, gets cleaned in dishwasher

We’ve used one for years, of the Brita type. Water tastes better without the chlorine aroma. Kettle lasts longer between descales and, as you say, no scum on tea. Need new cartridges monthly but wouldn’t go back

EDIT cheap cartridges from Wilko seem to work just as well for a fraction of the cost

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
EDIT cheap cartridges from Wilko seem to work just as well for a fraction of the cost

It's where we get our cartridges from.
As we live in a hard water area, It's amazing the difference in taste the cartridges make. And of course less limescale build up in the kettle.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
We have a block water softener and a separate hard water drinking tap which is fed though one of these filters.
5DC6E416-EF6D-4AFE-829D-FBBF204AC797.jpeg

Our drinking water is just pure clear water with no chemical smells or tastes. I enjoy drinking lots of water during the day and I’d never go back to drinking the nasty stuff that used to come out of the tap before we had the filter installed.

Gwylan

Veteran

Got used to filtered water whilst we were abroad for 20 years.

Settled on this bunch, zero water. https://zerowater.co.uk/

It works for us. Two people household. Does drinking, cooking and tea etc.
Filter lasts us about a month.

We also got a Soda stream, makes fizzy water.
No spending money on fizzy water from the supermarket and chucking loads of plastic away.

Stephenite

Membå
It seems a bit strange that in the UK it's down to the individual household to filter their drinking water.

Tenkaykev

Guru
According to the blurb, the " activated charcoal " component in the filter cartridges that I use comes from coconut husks. Good to see that the raw materials left over from Bounty, coconut water / milk etc are being put to good use 🥥

Gwylan

Veteran
It seems a bit strange that in the UK it's down to the individual household to filter their drinking water.

Based on a project I managed 30 years ago treating the water at the point of use is the cheapest and most effective way.
Whether the consumer should assume responsibility for that is another debate

tyred

Legendary Member
I don't drink tea but I do use a water filter jug as the water here is horrible. Not sure what it is that gives it that taste but you can even taste it through orange squash.

I bought a big batch of filters of eBay once quite cheaply and am still using them.

Stephenite

Membå
Based on a project I managed 30 years ago treating the water at the point of use is the cheapest and most effective way.
Whether the consumer should assume responsibility for that is another debate

That's very interesting, thanks.

I grew up in Manchester and i've always thought the water in the taps there to be better tasting/fresher than in plenty of the smaller cities/towns i've been to all over the UK and wondered why. When i was around 14 years old i discovered the water came from Thirlmere in The Lakes. That's a little over 150km away. The pipes were laid down in... (googling... - Opening up the ground began in 1890, and reservoir and aquaduct finished in the year)... 1894.

How broad a project was this, the one you @Gwylan led, in terms of scale/time, etc? Was it for London, only? Was this the first cost analysis project after the Thirlmere/Manchester one? How long into the future did they weigh up the cost/maintenance/renewal of piping clean water into London against the cost/maintenance/renewal of piping low quality water and the follow-up installation of filtering systems in millions of homes? Forever?

It just doesn't make sense to me. I have an O level in Geography from 1984, you know.

Top Bottom