water flow (plumbing)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Without wanting to detract from the engineering* brilliance, could you not just use the taps in your house?

*I am not even sure if it is engineering

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Without wanting to detract from the engineering* brilliance, could you not just use the taps in your house?

*I am not even sure if it is engineering
Because it wouldn't be any fun?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
[QUOTE 4925385, member: 9609"]it gets more exciting than that though - I now have a ruth rendall style murder mystery.

the shelter roof is 94 x 98 inches, and last week we had 17.3mm of rain, therefor I should have captured 103 litres, but I only got 87 litres - so there is 15% missing - WHERE HAS IT GONE ????[/QUOTE]
:hyper::hyper::hyper:

classic33

Leg End Member
[QUOTE 4925385, member: 9609"]it gets more exciting than that though - I now have a ruth rendall style murder mystery.

the shelter roof is 94 x 98 inches, and last week we had 17.3mm of rain, therefor I should have captured 103 litres, but I only got 87 litres - so there is 15% missing - WHERE HAS IT GONE ????[/QUOTE]
Warm weather caused the water to evaporate.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Well I know nothing of water flow rates but have five interconnected water butts to collect run off from my shed.

Aside from the pressure created by the head of water surely the limiting factor, which no one seems to have mentioned, is the size of the outflow tap? Obviously I'm presuming your outflow is from a tap fitted to the butt.

This is certainly the case on my water butts - an extra 20 seconds to fill a can isn't life changing though!!

Last edited:

swansonj

Guru

It's gone into the ocean where it is contributing to the rising sea levels. So all this talk about melting sea ice is a distraction- it's your shed roof we ought to be focussing on. :smile:

swansonj

Guru
[QUOTE 4925367, member: 9609"]
...- took some measurements today and from half full it is running at 4.95 seconds per litre, which would be a very tedious 22.5 seconds for a gallon into a watering can. Surely I can get it to under 10 seconds without employing noisy motors.[/QUOTE]
Ours is even slower and I offer you our high-tech solution: two watering cans. Leave one filling while you take the other down the garden to water the vegetables.

Did you remember to round down by the sine of the pitch of the roof?

[QUOTE 4926693, member: 9609"]Sorted the problem out with the flow, took off the garden hose with its 90 degree bend and replaced it with 20mm flexible hose set in a gentle curve. The tank connector is salvaged from a wagon radiator that I have glued in place with hot melt. It could last a week or a decade but for now it is leak free. So there is 1.5 metre at 25mm internal then 1.2 metre at 20.2mm

flow rate increase over the same fall in head from 22.5 seconds per Gallon to a more respectable 6.9 seconds per gallon (which is nearly double the speed from our mains connection)

It still has to be connected to a tap which is going to slow it to some extent, but I have ordered (goes against the grain but I am having to buy something :sad:) it is a 3/4 inch straight through with lever valve, so should be quick to get to full flow.

View attachment 369397 [/QUOTE]

I love it when a plan comes together.

Now for the next step. Calculate the turbulent flow in that spiralled pipe and see how much better a smooth pipe will make it. Report back with the findings.

Top Bottom