Water in frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
Was wheeling my bike through the workshop door on it's rear wheel tonight when water started to drip out of the slot where the seatpost clamp is. Now call me naive but I've never really given it a thought that water would get in! Anyone ever had any experience of this ?

stuee147

there is normily little drain holes in the lower parts of a bike like around the bottom bracket and near the dropouts some times it can be the same hole as the plastic cable guide in the bottom brackets. at least iv always found them on my bikes sometimes they can be closed with paint as they are only about 1.5 to 2 mm dia but i cant say iv ever had a bike frame fill with water unless iv been pulling it out of a river lol.
i do like to spray duck oil inside all my bike frames just gives me peace of mind
stuee

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
Yes it's pretty common if you use a pressure washer on your bike or over use of the sponge .. there are a few ways to combat water ingress ..you can grease your seatpost which prevents it being stuck but also helps keep the water out .. you can add some tape over the joint (below the clamp) or add a section of inner tube rubber.

It's also well worth turning the bike onto its handlebars and seatpost for a few hours to help any water drain out

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Was wheeling my bike through the workshop door on it's rear wheel tonight when water started to drip out of the slot where the seatpost clamp is. Now call me naive but I've never really given it a thought that water would get in! Anyone ever had any experience of this ?
Yes, I've had the same, and as @NormanD said, just arrange the bike with the leaky end*** pointing downwards, and leave it for a while.

*** which can differ between bikes.

Top Bottom