Waterproof gloves

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jezston

Über Member
I've got Sealskinz All Weather gloves. They're supposed to be waterproof, but in reality anything more than a brief shower and the water gets through. They're supposed to be breathable, but in reality if it isn't below zero my hands sweat. They're supposed to be warm, but in reality if it's below a few degrees Celsius my hands get cold.

This is exactly the experience I had with Sealskinz gloves. I had the ones with 'Waterproof' written on the index finger. I think they were these:
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/seal-skinz/all-weather-cycle-gloves-ec019852

Absolutely useless gloves. Not waterproof in the rail AT ALL. I had a funny conversation with another cyclist commuter spotted on the train with the same gloves. Useless, useless things. They also have no reflectives on them either which isn't much help if you are trying to indicate after dark.

I'll be shelling out on expensive ones for this winter. No half measures this time.

The sealskins I have were given to me by a friend who was ex army and had a few army issue ones spare. They are waterproof to the extent I can dip my hand into water and stay dry - though why I would I have no idea...

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
This is exactly the experience I had with Sealskinz gloves. I had the ones with 'Waterproof' written on the index finger. I think they were these:
http://www.evanscycl...gloves-ec019852

Absolutely useless gloves. Not waterproof in the rail AT ALL. I had a funny conversation with another cyclist commuter spotted on the train with the same gloves. Useless, useless things. They also have no reflectives on them either which isn't much help if you are trying to indicate after dark.

Mine were normal issue bought on the highstreet, and they're watertight (also with reflective strips). They were bought last winter and have been excellent. Perhaps we get different versions here in Switzerland...

Jezston

Über Member
Guess if they have reflective strips they aren't the ones in my link there?

Don't suppose you can find an image of the ones you have so I can consider them next time?

The problem with gloves is the same with waterproofs, stay dry yet not sweat, even more difficult with gloves as less air moving around. A friend of mine in my last club always wore waterproof mitts, she said her hands never sweated like they do with gloves.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Anyone got a recommendations for a sealskinz make that does actually keep you dry. My Altura's are plenty warm, but act like a sponge so "attract" water.

I'd like some breathable, waterproof, thin gloves with a bit of reflection and grip...any suggestions guys?

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I've got these Altura Nevis things from Ribble.
I had a pair that lasted 3 years, bought from Wiggle. Don't think Wiggle or Altura actually do them any more, but Ribble seem to have some still in stock, at a very good price. I bought mine there at the end of last winter (so unused as yet) but they cost me 21 quid then...grr...
The ones I've used were excellent, though I wouldn't say 100% waterproof, but v warm anyway.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/ro...ER-Altura-Nevis-Waterproof-Gloves/ALTUZGLO315

Sealskinz for me. Agree with some of the comments in that you wouldn't wear then unless the temperature was 5C or below - otherwise you hands would sweat. Disagree with the cold hands comment. My pair took me through the coldest temperatures of last year no problems.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Sealskinz for me. Agree with some of the comments in that you wouldn't wear then unless the temperature was 5C or below - otherwise you hands would sweat. Disagree with the cold hands comment. My pair took me through the coldest temperatures of last year no problems.

SquareDaff, what make are they, specifically. I ask because Jez and a few others have had bad experiences of a particular make of sealskinz gloves. So I want to buy the right ones

cheers

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
My hands are waterproof enough
cool.gif

It's the cold that does me in
sad.gif

barnesy

I have sealskins ultragrip gloves which i use in work (aquatics department of a garden store) they are used for putting my hands fully submersed in water for most of the day and they stay dry.

Very good gloves and allow good dexterity.

Oddsos

Über Member
Getting the right fit is one of the most important points about whar makes a great glove. If the fingers are too short you will end up feeling cold due to the glove compressing the ends of your fingers and thumb and stopping the blood flowing through and warming you. My hands are fairly slim with long fingers so I often find gloves that are long enough in the fingers are tricky to find or result in a very baggy fit.

With water proof gloves it is important to decide how you are going to stop water flowing in the arm hole. If you have a waterproof jacket on as well then wear the sleeves over the top of the glove cuffs.

I normally wear a long sleeved jersey and gillet in rainy weather as I find I over heat in a waterproof. This means there isn't much point wearing waterproof gloves as they are just going to fill up as weater trickles down my arms and fills the glove. I've found the Gore Bike Wear gloves a good fit. I think I had a pair of Volcanos that were used until they died. The Assos glove system is also great. The lobster outer is my favourite as I can bung it on over any of my (embaressingly extensive) glove wardrobe to upgrade the insulation.

I also use some PI Inferno semi lobster gloves and PI AmFibs when it is really cold and wet. If the temperature is less than 5 degrees C I find I get too cold in wet weather to manage without a waterproof. The PI gloves are waterproof, but they do turn into sopping wet dead weights.

Top Bottom