Waterproof gloves

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chutzpah

Über Member
Hi everyone,

Had a quick search of the forum but couldn't find any real recommendations - does anyone have a recommendation for a waterproof set of gloves?

I generally don't worry about having waterproof kit (I go for windproof as it's hilly around here and if it's too waterproof I find that I sweat more than I get wet from rain), but I've got to admit that I can't stand my hands getting wet.

I had a look around all the usual retailers and most products seem to have various negative reviews so wondered if anyone here had any success stories?

Ta!

Fast_Mark

If you have a Lidl by you they had a bunch of bike stuff in a week or so ago, including some waterproof / windowing gloves for about a fiver. Not used mine in anger yet but worth a shout for the money.

Fiona N

Veteran
I think that's there's a general feeling that waterproof gloves are sweaty so get as wet inside as less waterproof gloves.

I have a pair of Altura winter gloves which have been superb over the last 3 or 4 years but they're definitely not waterproof but serious windproof + a bit of warmth. Likewise a pair of Gore wintergloves - more cosy and less waterproof. Around here, if it's raining it's not all that cold - if it's really cold, it's snowing :biggrin:

They cost loads, but sealskin gloves are warm, waterproof and not at all sweaty as highly breathable. However, they are too warm unless it's really cold, and like I said, pricey.

Not Endura.

I've not got much to compare them to but I have a few pairs of Endura's: summer, windproof & waterproof and I like them for fit and dexterity but the waterproof liner of the (so called) waterproof pair tends when its wet to stick to my hands/fingers and become inside out slightly when I take them off, so putting them back on is a pain. I much prefer to wear my wind proof pair as long as its not torrential it keeps my fingers more at the desired temperature.
My Spesh Radiants are really good for warmth/ water resistance but they are too bulky IMO, the best pair I've found so far are the cheap pair I bought in Aldi, they are the right weight for winter but I still prefer my endura wind proof pair.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I bought both track-mitts and "water-proof" winter gloves from Endura. Both started falling to pieces within three weeks. That's just my experience a year ago. Maybe they are better now. I'm not going to find out, others can.

PpPete

Legendary Member
They cost loads, but sealskin gloves are warm, waterproof and not at all sweaty as highly breathable. However, they are too warm unless it's really cold, and like I said, pricey.

I've seen quite a few poor reviews about Sealskinz gloves - most saying not waterproof at all, but I can't say from my own experience. For me, if it's warm enough to rain, it's mostly warm enough to wear regular fingerless mitts. Full finger gloves are reserved only for the coldest conditions.

But unlike the OP I don't mind my hands being wet from the rain - skin being waterproof/breathable in the way Goretex is supposed to be.... OTH I really don't like the clammy feel of sweaty hands inside too-warm gloves.

It might be worth looking at Tenn kit, like Lidl is cheap and good :tongue:

http://www.tenn-outdoors.co.uk/cycle-clothing/mens/gloves/

I'm going to give the windproof ones a try. For the 1 or 2 days a year I really want something more, I just use my ski gloves :tongue:

I've seen quite a few poor reviews about Sealskinz gloves - most saying not waterproof at all, but I can't say from my own experience. For me, if it's warm enough to rain, it's mostly warm enough to wear regular fingerless mitts. Full finger gloves are reserved only for the coldest conditions.

But unlike the OP I don't mind my hands being wet from the rain - skin being waterproof/breathable in the way Goretex is supposed to be.... OTH I really don't like the clammy feel of sweaty hands inside too-warm gloves.

+1ing sucks, but this point really needs it.

Last winter was mental cold and there was very little rain - infact I have not been drenched from commuting for an entire year!

I bought both track-mitts and "water-proof" winter gloves from Endura. Both started falling to pieces within three weeks. That's just my experience a year ago. Maybe they are better now. I'm not going to find out, others can.

I don't know about their current pairs but I've heard a lot of people say similar; their other kit (jerseys, jackets, etc) seem to be OK, I wonder how they could have got their gloves so wrong!

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
Sealskinz for me. I find them to work wery well, and allow my hands to breath. I wouldn't wear them on warm, wet days, but then I wouldn't wear any gloves on warm wet days.

Mad at urage

Sealskinz for me. I find them to work wery well, and allow my hands to breath. I wouldn't wear them on warm, wet days, but then I wouldn't wear any gloves on warm wet days.

Agreed, sealskin gloves work for me. I too have seen the reviews saying they are not waterproof, I agree that is the case if you dip them in a tub of water, but for cycling use they are the best compromise. I have used fully-waterproof gloves in the past and my fingers froze as the sweat turned to ice!

OP
OP
C

Chutzpah

Über Member

It is admittedly a silly preference of mine - I don't even like dunking my hands in a washing up bowl! (My technique of hooking items out using a brush is the stuff of legend).

A summer shower doesn't bother me, but a sustained soaking does. If I was in town on a short hop I'd just suck it up with mitts, but on my long commute with a fair few downhill sections wet fingers (especially autumn/winter) isn't fun, and full fingered gloves that are soaked through are the worst.

potsy

Rambler
Gloves are the one thing I haven't yet got right for the winter/rainy days, though I have just ordered a pair of Gore ones so will see how they fair this winter.

Got some merino glove liners for the cold but dry days too.

amaferanga

Veteran
I've got Sealskinz All Weather gloves. They're supposed to be waterproof, but in reality anything more than a brief shower and the water gets through. They're supposed to be breathable, but in reality if it isn't below zero my hands sweat. They're supposed to be warm, but in reality if it's below a few degrees Celsius my hands get cold.

So they're fine if it's exactly 4 degrees Celsius and it doesn't rain for more than a couple of minutes.

A total waste of money IMO. I much prefer Defeet Dura gloves for down to around 5 degrees with a pair of goretex paclite shell mitts over the top if it should rain properly. And I've got some Craft Siberian gloves for when it's right cold.

Top Bottom