Waterproof Head Ciover for under helmet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Klaus

Got caught by rain on Sunday without wearing any rain gear (don't really have any ....).
What is recommended to wear under (or over?) the helmet to keep head dry.
I suppose it has to be something separate from the jacket.
Thanks.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
You can buy helmet covers, hi-viz even, or you can use a disposable shower cap (from Boots). Fold very small in the jersey pocket, and if you are careful you can get quite a lot of use out of each one. Or you could borrow your partner's frilly pink one .......

(Over the helmet)

Bluebell72

I think anything between your head and the helmet that is waterproof will just get sweaty.

I have a lot of hair, so it takes a heavy rain to get my head wet under the helmet, but now as the weather gets cooler, I sometimes wear a 'Buff', which is a cotton mix thing, also keeps my ears warm.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Skullcaps can be worn under the helmet. These tend to be quite snug and warm as well as water resistant, really good for winter. The vents on a helmet will still cool the head.

An over helmet cover can also be good, does tend to get hot in my experience, tends to be the favoured option for those that have long hair. Water can run off and miss going down your neck, which has happened when I've worn skullcaps.

Have a look at a traditional cycling cap too. These can sometimes be resistant, plus the low peak can help keep the water off the goggles.

Or take a towel, LOL!

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
+1 for the buff. Not waterproof but if it was you'd just sweat anyway. When you take it off wring it out and it dries fairly quickly. If it's exceptionally wet I take 2 and rotate them.

zacklaws

Guru
You can use clingfilm on the outside of the helmet to keep your noggin dry and cold air out and also tinfoil inside the helmet for insulation to keep your noggin warm, but either should only be done if its extremely cold.

When it has been cold and wet I've wore a skull cap or cycling cap (I got a good Rapha one for free after helping out at the Edinburgh Nocturne) under the helmet.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Trad. cycle caps are under helmets in the rain as they have the added benefit of a peak close to eye level which works well at keeping rain out of eyes and off glasses. Usually about £7 quid or so. Prendas is the place.
Buffs are OK, but not as good in the rain.

tsddave

I use a Nike dri fit cap under my cycling helmet. My head doesnt get wet despite the rain coming down pretty hard here (I dunno why actually maybe the heat of my head when riding counters it or something!) but the main reason I use it is to stop rain getting on my glasses - works a treat!

OP
OP
Klaus

Klaus

Thanks all for your comments and suggestions - I quite like the idea of the over-helmet rain cover, however one could spend some serious money on those, somewhere between £8 and £30+. The shower cap I will try out (less than £1...) and of course the cling film sounds good (got that already in the kitchen!). Alternatively, only cycle in fair weather!! I am not a commuter but I am hoping to do my first Audax ride end October (Emitremmus) and the weather at that time will be unpredictable.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
You can use clingfilm on the outside of the helmet to keep your noggin dry and cold air out and also tinfoil inside the helmet for insulation to keep your noggin warm, but either should only be done if its extremely cold.

Top idea for when the snow & ice hits his winter

Top Bottom