waterproof helmet cover

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angry Blonde

Über Member
since i have bit the bullet and decided to commute to work in all weathers, i have found helmet covers, whats the general consensus on these.... do they make your head sweat more, do i really need one ? cheers chaps for any replys.

I find they are a crucial warming tool for under 9 degrees C., with a balaclava underneath when temp drops under 5 degrees. I find--as I think you do--that they are torture in warmer weather, gradually heating up your cranium until you forget your math . . the one I used is Garneau's.

ScotiaLass

Guru
I think it depends on the helmet personally.
I've never used one and have been riding regularly in 0-5 degree temps.
I use a Bern helmet (without the winter liner). It's my neck that gets cold so the trusty buff is all that's needed there.

Kies

A clear plastic bag cut out and placed in the roof of the helmet works just as well for keeping rain off your head. For cold weather a skull cap is invaluable as it will also cover your ears. Add a buff to keep neck/face warm and your set for most weather conditions on a bike.

Gez73

Veteran
Skullcap and Bern helmet here too. Buff of varying warmth depending on the temp. Never used a helmet cover myself but I do have front and back lights on my helmet so not suitable anyway. G

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I've got a Night Vision one. Looks ridiculous, but it keeps the rain off and doesn't seem to make a difference to the amount of sweat. I've only used it in showery weather so far though - don't know how it would be on a long ride.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
A skull cap is all you really need. Helmet covers do look terrible, Nora Batty hair net type !

OP
OP
Angry Blonde

Angry Blonde

Über Member
thanks chaps, by all your advice i think i will just use a cap, i also have lights on my helmet, but by the sounds of things theres no need for one, i have a buff, so ill try a cap next time it rains, cheers chaps

vickster

Legendary Member
Skullcap here, but they are very warm. Ear band for ears (I use a running one) Choice between damp hair and sweaty hair, I think I prefer damp

winjim

Smash the cistern
I met an audaxer who simply wrapped his helmet in clingfilm. I usually don't bother unless it's a torrential downpour, in which case my waterproof jacket has a hood which fits underneath my helmet.

Top Bottom