Waterproof Jacket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

D4VOW

I have a Helly Hansen that has kept me completely dry in the most extreme rain. I cant seem to find the exact one online but it is very similar to this one. Im guessing it is the current version of my jacket.

gavintc

Guru
alebleicker said:
I was thinking about the montane brand, but seems quite pricey. the stormrider that seems to be the best eVent fabric out there, is £120, so there is another model fearthlite or something like that for around $40, but seems not very waterproof.
Now I found the velocity DT from montana which uses "Entrant DT Fabric" so I don't have a clue if this fabric does the job and if it is worth £70

My wife uses the featherlite and I have the velocity one. The featherlite is very light, packs into a tiny ball and is excellent as an emergency jacket. But, it is not waterproof and merely succeeds because it keeps you relatively warm. My velocity is excellent and I think pretty waterproof. I am never too certain whether the damp inside is from me or the rain. I cycle hard in it and if working really hard, I know I get damp from sweat. But, it keeps me warm on the worst weather days, is bright yellow and fits well. If I could find fault, I wish it had extra zips under the arm. But overall, I would give it 4/5.

alebleicker

Veteran
gavintc said:
My wife uses the featherlite and I have the velocity one. The featherlite is very light, packs into a tiny ball and is excellent as an emergency jacket. But, it is not waterproof and merely succeeds because it keeps you relatively warm. My velocity is excellent and I think pretty waterproof. I am never too certain whether the damp inside is from me or the rain. I cycle hard in it and if working really hard, I know I get damp from sweat. But, it keeps me warm on the worst weather days, is bright yellow and fits well. If I could find fault, I wish it had extra zips under the arm. But overall, I would give it 4/5.

in your opinion, is it really breathable ? because you said you get quite sweat on it, so I imagine in I'll be in the same situation as I sweat a lot.

alebleicker

Veteran
well, I was reading a lot about gore-tex and event fabrics and how exactly they work.
seems eVent is doing better and the price is cheaper, so way to go for it. I've found some models from endura for around £70, so seems a good deal for something that is supposed to be so hi-tech.

do you guys have experience with these fabrics?

Jonathan M

Only had eVent in walking shoes, so not going to comment about it really other than it worked really well in those.

Gore-tex, I've got a Chapak gore-tex cape that I got in Decathlon in France a few years ago (about E100, so a nice bargain when the £ was around E1.45). It is a no frills type thing, packs small enough to fit in a jersey, keeps the rain off but the outer fabric just wets out too much,and if the outer fabric doesn't shed the rain, it looses breathability very quickly. But I'll stress that this jacket is about 8 years old, it looks like maybe an old fashioned 3 layer version of GT was used, so the newer versions will have advanced greatly in the meantime.

For the OP I found the Altura Nevis at www.bikesyoulike.co.uk , the 2008/9 version for £34.99, free delivery,ordered on Friday night, website clearly states no packages dispatched on weekends, arrived on wednesday so reasonably quick delivery allowing for the fact it would have only gone out on Monday at the earliest.

I think over the years I must have tried most types of so called waterproof cycling jackets. To be fair, most have been waterproof but on a club ride banging on at 16mph+ I might as well have not bothered as non of the sweat escaped. However, last year I bought the Gill pro speed Event jacket and I would be amazed if there was anything more waterproof and breathable out there. It's so good that I wear it as a windproof in winter when no rain is forecast. Not sure if they are still doing them, if not find the cheapest Event jacket you can, well worth it. Event imo is better than Gore for breathability.

ACS

Legendary Member
totallyfixed said:
I think over the years I must have tried most types of so called waterproof cycling jackets. To be fair, most have been waterproof but on a club ride banging on at 16mph+ I might as well have not bothered as non of the sweat escaped. However, last year I bought the Gill pro speed Event jacket and I would be amazed if there was anything more waterproof and breathable out there. It's so good that I wear it as a windproof in winter when no rain is forecast. Not sure if they are still doing them, if not find the cheapest Event jacket you can, well worth it. Event imo is better than Gore for breathability.

I have read in another place (BR Forum, I think) that the Gill Pro speed is now marketed by Wiggle as the dhb Wickham eVENT Waterproof Jacket.

Normal caveats apply, just repeating another persons opinion.

Tony B

satans budgie said:
I have read in another place (BR Forum, I think) that the Gill Pro speed is now marketed by Wiggle as the dhb Wickham eVENT Waterproof Jacket.

Normal caveats apply, just repeating another persons opinion.

Tis here

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/dhb_Wickham_eVENT_Waterproof_Jacket/5360037016/

and £36 off

They're also knocking this one out.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/dhb_Amberley_Waterproof_Jacket/5360037015/

The above looks exactly like the Aldi jacket

Top Bottom