Waterproof Jacket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mikeitup

Veteran
Bigtallfatbloke said:
another vote for the altura night vision here. Mine is fine..no probs. I have the black one which I wear off the bike a lot as well. On the bike I put on a hi vis vest over it in the day time. It has a good fit to cover your bum, vents on the side, a useful chest zipper pocket and a big rear pocket which I use to put my water proof trousers in just in case. It also has velcro wrist fasteners which are great at illiminating cold wrists by going over the top of your gloves. It is safe on the bike and imo looks cool off the bike.

as for waterproof trousers, I have a pair of DHB cheapy ones...which are good...fit me well, have ample room on the knee and are waterproof. Only thiong is th eankle zips (which go up almost to the knee) need some velcro straps on them to stop the zip undoing and getting hooked up in the chain...I solve this with two hi vis ankle wraps.

good point about the trousers. You should email wiggle maybe they can pass your suggestion to dhb

Tynan

Veteran
I'm in love with the dhb bib longs now and they handle rain fine, don't really get wet and keep the legs warm

the night vision jacket is a bit bloody warm but it's so bright that I'm going to wear it every day now, I can see drivers spotting me that much earlier, going to try it with a short sleeve top tomorrow, with the long sleeve I'm riding with both unzipped and still sweating a fair bit

mikeitup

Veteran
Tynan said:
I'm in love with the dhb bib longs now and they handle rain fine, don't really get wet and keep the legs warm

the night vision jacket is a bit bloody warm but it's so bright that I'm going to wear it every day now, I can see drivers spotting me that much earlier, going to try it with a short sleeve top tomorrow, with the long sleeve I'm riding with both unzipped and still sweating a fair bit

I agree, the DHB bibs rock!!

Very tempted to get a night vision.

Get one mike - I have the black version a la bigbloke, and, like Tynan, tend to work up a sweat. A near perfect coat (for me:thumbsup:), with the useful front pocket and full width zipped rear. Dries quickly enough - I turn mine inside out!!

cyclebum

I have an altura , I have only just started wearing it for longer rides and was a bit wary but it's great. Once I warm up I open the zip vents under the arms and I find it really comfortable (now I have figured out the layers to wear underneath.) I also like the wrist velcro,tight to keep me warm , looser to help cool down a bit. Side pockets are also big enough to take the energy gel I have just started using which I find much easier than having to stop to get it out of my backpack and it feels awkward in the backpocket which is full of tissues anyway!!!! :blush:

Still do not have any waterproof trousers though as the ones I have looked at so far at my LBS were mens and too big. :smile:

Hurricane Steve

Hi
Why not have a look at the Montane clothing, especially the eVent® membrane, and here. I've bought many a pair of pants and jackets and within a short time the jolly things are leaking like an oil filter. This time round I have invested and now own a pair of Vaude longs with this eVent membrane. I drive long and fast through the City and arrive DRY!!! no rain gets in, and the perspiration gets transported out, meaning a dry climate on the inside. The seams are tape sealed and the knee is pre formed with velco around the ankles and reflective tape on the sides. This eVent® membrane is the leading technology and leaves GoreTex in the dark. It does have one down side though. The price.....

Good luck and stay dry.

Tynan

Veteran
mikeitup said:
I agree, the DHB bibs rock!!

Very tempted to get a night vision.

as i said, it's warm, plain too warm for the weather at the moment which isn;t that warm, wore a short sleeve jersey this morning and still got sweaty, even with it unzipped as low as I dared

it's a bugger because it's a beautiful top, and it doesn't pack down small enough to go into a jersey pocket, my old cheapo pertex one did

meaning if you set off in it, you're wearing it, here's to some proper cold weather, not sure at all that I be using it outside winter, perhaps when I get a bit fitter and stop heating up so much hopefully

Big T

Guru
I agree with Tynan about the Night Vision. Mine is so warm, I only ever wear it in the rain. I've even tried wearing just a vest underneath, but still arraive soaked in sweat.

For day to day riding I've just bought a Polaris RBS jacket

http://www.cycleshopping.co.uk/acatalog/Polaris_RBS_Jacket.html

It's only a windproof (and showerproof) jacket, but it certainly get you noticed.

Tynan

Veteran
you ride in that ok BigT?

I do want something bright that I can wear every day this time of year

Cathryn

Legendary Member
cyclebum said:
Still do not have any waterproof trousers though as the ones I have looked at so far at my LBS were mens and too big. ;)

I agree, Cyclebum. I have short legs (boo) and even the womens' ones are too long. I wonder if there are any kids ones out there that are actually any good!

alicat

Legendary Member
For that sort of distance, why not cycle in your work clothes? If it's raining throw on a rain cape, walk or go by car.

Tynan

Veteran
really cold yesterday and even colder today

Nightvision was about right tending to warm, witha short top under it

buff too today

so anywhere below 5 degrees I reckon it's wearable for me

OP
OP
phaedrus

phaedrus

alicat said:
For that sort of distance, why not cycle in your work clothes? If it's raining throw on a rain cape, walk or go by car.

Do people still use/wear rain capes? I had one donkey's years ago, but I never see any nowadays. I do have to say that the suggestion above seems like very sensible advice.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
jimscullion said:
Do people still use/wear rain capes? I had one donkey's years ago, but I never see any nowadays. I do have to say that the suggestion above seems like very sensible advice.

Rather depends on how windy it is, I wouldn't fancy my chances of surviving with the winds we get around here...

Top Bottom