Waterproof over trousers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Was looking at some Altura waterproof over trousers recently for commuting in. They were around £70, wouldn't want to spend much more than that though. Anyone got any experience of them? How well do they breathe? Are they durable? Any other recomendations? Thanks.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
i put some over trousers a few weeks ago, unfortunately i haven't had the chance to test them out yet :biggrin:

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
depends on how long you ride. short to medium commutes (15 to 40 minutes) with reasonable hills, waterproofs are ok. out in the rain longer, then the rain will get in one way or another. then there's the 'boil in the bag effect', if you have to put in an effort to get to somewhere then you sweat and get wet anyway. i spent £100 on endura over pants +£100 on a jacket and tbh was a waste of time as i tend to be out on the bike for over 60 minutes minimum. i've tried capes, again not much cop.

recently i've tried thermal tights (lusso repel) a base layer, waterproof shoes (which do work) and a windproof fleece. i have been out in torrential downpours and been just right (not cold or 'boil in the bag'). i take an extra fleece to put on when i get somewhere to keep warm.

I have a pair of Alturas and Mr Houtkop has a pair of Night Vision Alturas.

I haven't got wet yet using them, but they are too warm for summer use really (in summer unless you absolutely have to be dry; I find a better solution is to wear quick-drying normal trousers). I don't cycle as far as Shaun though - and I also don't cycle particularly hard, so I don't think I'll overheat in them in winter. They are supposed to be breathable etc etc but all the 'breathable' stuff I've got feels about as breathable as a plastic bag.

One point to note is that the legs on mine, and on Mr Houtkop's, are actually just too short (when sitting on the bike at any rate, your knees do shorten them quite a bit). Surely if you want overtrousers you want them to flap over your shoes a bit, not end mid-sock and then funnel water into your shoes? At the minute I've gotten around that by wearing mid-calf boots; but in summer it was right annoying. I'll get round to sewing on a 'frill' at some point.
(and I'm not the tallest of people!)

SimonC

Used some Endura Tech waterproof trousers for work commute last winter, with overshoes so trousers sat over overshoes, used some hi-vis bands as trouser clips, and didnt get wet feet. About £60 from wiggle I think.

Not completely breathable, and and bit warm on milder days - but OK - will use them again this winter but only when its raining.

Full lycra for training, not for the office though!

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
good point mrs savage, the one about them funnelling water into the shoe perfectly. if you have waterproof shoes then they just fill up and start making sloppy seconds gurgling noises, very disconcerting.

lowrider73

A matter of interest, that I was after a pair of overtrousers for cycling to work on the cold damp evenings. I got a pair of Hi-Gear Crag Overtrousers for £15, which have a lining inside plus 2 zipped pockets, leg zip + velco ankle adjuster. These are really for walking, but for me, lovely and warm now. Get them while you can, only on for special offer for a short while.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
I have acheap pair of dhbs they are comfy and waterproof..I wear longs underthem cos they make you sweat like most waterproof stuff..only gripe is th eankle zips ride up so i use a pair of high vis velcro ankle straps to keep this from happening

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I tested out mine the other day. and yeah definitely boil in the bag, so i took it easy so i didn't over heat and sweat to much. But it keeps all the dirt of my legs and stops water coming into the top of my overshoes, so a good buy still i think!

There is no such thing as the perfect cycling waterproof – my waterproofs and base layers will keep me at the right temperature and dry all day as long as long as the rain intensity stays constant, the air temperature stays the same, the wind velocity is constant and my cycling intensity does not vary – If any of these thing change while I am touring its easy to fix – just stop at a bus shelter and add/remove items from stockpile in panniers - however if just out for a ride or going to work I am stuck with what I have – It’s a question of deciding what is best day on the day for what you doing, the weather conditions and what you are prepared to tolerate for the time you are out. I am sorry if this is self evident but IMO

For the record my preferred cycling top is Goretex – (there may be better – but I can’t afford to road test them all and the previous two incarnations did the job very well) – Overtrousers are a cheapish pair of Polaris – suit my body shape, have good knee length zips, a mesh lining at the top and are not too heavy – and stay up reasonably well (also they seem to keep the water out) – breathable to a point but I can’t remember if they claimed to be – I bought them on the basis of fit and build quality more than anything else

Top Bottom