Waterproof socks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

contadino

Veteran
Hello,

What's the scoop with trying to keep your feet warm when cycling on rough bits? I've seen the overshoes but reckon they would get shredded by brambles, twigs, etc. It took me ages to find the shoes I wear so I'm loathe to have to look for waterproof shoes.

The roads were flooded a fair bit this morning and my feet were like ice when I got home.

Do socks like these provide any protection?

Dexshell Ultralite Waterproof Socks - Hi Vis (Large UK 9-11) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IYPTQMQ/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_.TrXub0HD5FRR

Many thanks.

subaqua

What’s the point
unless the shoes fit well enough to stop water running into them then you are on a hiding to nothing whatever you wear on the inside

I use shimano MTB boots for winter commuting as they really are waterproof and seal against my leg. the longs go over the top and i keep warm dry feet

BigAl68

Über Member
Winter boots are the only real solution in foul weather. Buy them in the summer and you normally pick up a bargain. Not much help how though

OP
OP
contadino

contadino

Veteran
Why not try Merino woollen socks, they should keep your feet warm even when wet.

So how does that work? I keep hearing of merino but I thought it just wicked sweat away. It wasn't the water that did for my feet today, it was the cold air on wet footwear.

If feasible I'd prefer wool as it's a natural product.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
The socks you link to in the OP are quoted as being suitable for 'warmer seasons' ie, they are waterproof, but probably only suitable if more/warmer socks are used as well.
The problem I have is that, as others have said, water runs down the legs and fills the socks up.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
So how does that work? I keep hearing of merino but I thought it just wicked sweat away. It wasn't the water that did for my feet today, it was the cold air on wet footwear.

If feasible I'd prefer wool as it's a natural product.
Wool does not absorb water as much as other fibres so allows the warm air to stay in and keep your feet warm, likewise leather shoes are best. The warmest woollen fibre is Alpaca, my ex brought me back a handknitted, undyed Alpaca jumper back from her 'adventure' trip to the Andes 25yrs ago and that is far too warm to wear unless the temperature is below freezing, downside is its a bit itchy.

the snail

Guru
Wool does not absorb water as much as other fibres
Actually, the opposite is true, wool absorbs more water than most fabrics, but that's why it's good at keeping you warm in the wet. Because it can absorb more water before it becomes waterlogged, and that is when you start getting cold because the air between the fibres has been driven out.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Actually, the opposite is true, wool absorbs more water than most fabrics, but that's why it's good at keeping you warm in the wet. Because it can absorb more water before it becomes waterlogged, and that is when you start getting cold because the air between the fibres has been driven out.
Ah so that's how it works. I just knew they stayed warmer for longer. ^_^

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
oooooook, so...this wont keep your feet dry, due to perspiration...but it might keep them warm enough...try 1 sock on, then step inside a plastic carrier bag and then slip another sock over the top. Keeps the cold air out and it's free...for now...

Top Bottom