Waterproofing a hi-vis 'waterproof' jacket?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sham69

Über Member
Would be grateful if anyone could advise...

I often use a cheapish 100% polyester hi-vis jacket when cycling (Aldi own brand, Crane) and it was just about waterproof...until I washed it for the first time. Tried to do it right by washing by hand in Nikwax techwash (no detergent) then thoroughly rinsing (no softener) but it has lost it's waterproof nature in several places. As someone who tends to cycle in all weathers, I really need a waterproof jacket.

Are all these cheapish 100% polyester jackets destined to become water permeable following a wash? Is it expected to replace a cheapish waterproof jacket when it gets dirty? I've seen a Nikax spray on waterproofer (TX Direct) but that costs almost half the price of the jacket! Am I missing a trick here?

vickster

Legendary Member
I have never needed to do anything with my altura, washed in non bio at 30deg

If you need a new jacket the night visions are £35 at the mo

https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/altura_night_vision_windproof_cycling_jacket-ID_56164

I think a decent jacket is worth spending on if you want to stay dry (inside and out)

subaqua

What’s the point
Wash it in a washer with no detergent or softener but using the nikwax tech wash. Normal washing won't get the crud out that stops the waterproofer doing what it should.

If the jacket is like mine and particularly filthy wash with a non bio a few times to clean then wash with No detergent or softener then the tech wash.

Pop it in the machine on its own and put in the correct amount of waterproofer and wash with that.

Make sure the detergent drawer is removed or spotless as any soap stops the stuff working.

Dry as normal I.e not in a tumble dryer and wear.

Wash before it gets filthy filthy with tech wash and the thing will stay waterproof . And breathable ( if it was breathable before) .

Slioch

Guru
My tip would be pretty much as Subaqua says above, but you could also try ironing the garment using your irons lowest heat setting. The direct application of heat helps to "reactivate" the waterproofing chemical doodahs that the jacket has been treated with. This works fine with my goretex hillwalking jacket and Altura cycling one.
Warning - depending on your personal level of risk-adverseness, you may not want to try this on anything too expensive or that has taped seams.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Get a Night Vision. Mine is 4 years old it's been washed about 10 times and the Altura reflective bit on the arms is just starting to peel off. It cost about 50 quid and i've had my money's worth! 95% waterproof and not so boil in the bag as some say it is.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Soap suds. You can get Auntie Hilda's version at Tesco !

runner

Guru
I see the altura night vision waterproof evo jacket is for sale for £59.99 at tredz and a further £5 will taken off the final price if you add a discount code. This seems a brilliant deal as I to recently bought an aldi cycling jacket which is great value for the money but not waterproof ( and I am sure most of us got a little wet this past week!) There must be lots of riders with this jacket so what do you think? I like the black (but before ordering) does this colour really work in the dark even though it has reflective stripes. I do have an altura reflective night vision vest that I could wear over it...the green colour looks good and practicle in both the dark and wet conditions?

OP
OP
S

Sham69

Über Member
Appreciate all the replies and suggestions, thanks.

So do I understand that there are no waterproof cycling jackets out there (or jackets that may be suitable for cycling though not sold as such) that retain their waterproof nature following only a wash in warm soapy water and a rinse? Do they all need to be re-waterproofed after washing/rinsing? I was (wrongly?) under the impression that the more expensive waterproof jackets didn't require re-waterproofing after each wash.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Appreciate all the replies and suggestions, thanks.

So do I understand that there are no waterproof cycling jackets out there (or jackets that may be suitable for cycling though not sold as such) that retain their waterproof nature following only a wash in warm soapy water and a rinse? Do they all need to be re-waterproofed after washing/rinsing? I was (wrongly?) under the impression that the more expensive waterproof jackets didn't require re-waterproofing after each wash.
listen here! Get one of these things on offer at the moment.http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Altura-Nigh...drzv3J1gXNvTEUXGPuypa6AUo1SUupteeeBoC5KTw_wcB (Plastic doesn't need re - waterproofing) and you'll stay 95% dry! If you can't hack getting at least 5% wet then maybe you shouldn't be riding a bike!:whistle: ;)

Top Bottom