Waterproofing the gaps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jorgemartin

I have a waterproof jacket, waterproof over-trousers and waterproof shoes, but I can't stop water from going into the gap between the trousers and the shoes. Any ideas for long cold rides? Gaiters perhaps?

mike1026

I have a pair of Gore Bike Wear 'Windstopper' overshoes they are brilliant.
I did a quick check but can't find them on the net but there are a number of examples of similar shoes here http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=448

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
If it's warm I wear shorts, if it's cold I wear longs. If it's really cold I add overshoes. None of which are waterproof, but even heavy roubaix material doesn't hold much moisture. My only waterproof item is a rain jacket.

ASC1951

Guru
Same here. The more waterproof stuff is, the more I sweat in it. Keeping dry isn't important on a bike, keeping warm is, so I prefer to have a light windstopping jacket and decent overshoes and keep going.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I use a close fitting rubber seal against the skin round my ankle and over the ankle of the waterproof shoe (or overshoe). Any longs I'm wearing go over the top of the ankle seal.
That way any water running off the bottom of a higher layer runs over the outside of the lower layer, and the rubber seal is tight enough to keep water out of my shoes even with no longs or overtrousers. The rubber seal itself is the wrist section from a pair of Marigold washing-up gloves.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
i have the gore tex 'windstopper' and all they do is stop the wind, very good for keeping the cold out. but for rain they are crap, they soak the water up and you end up getting a puddle in your shoe, might as well not wear them.

I also have some waterproof endura overshoes, which are awesome. keep me nice and try :evil:

longers

Legendary Member
Something like that would do but I'd go for the marigold suggestion as well or water will run down your leg into your shoe. They're on my shopping list for this autumn/winters riding as I've seen a lot of recommendations for that tip.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
jorgemartin said:

i would go with
these

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Gaffatape, i find, is the best
Around the ankles, wrists, stomach, neck, anywhere water can get in.
Somepeople say i have an OCD in it
I just think i want to keep dry

Top Bottom