Waterproofs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LibraRider

Hiya!

Im looking for some decent waterproof trousers and jacket to wear whilst im training during this time of year.

I have been looking at decathlon and various other places, but they don't supply my size. (3XL at Decathlon :blush:)

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Don't really want to spend much more that roughly £30 at most for trousers.

TIA

you will probably find you get wet (sweat) on the inside, most waterproof trousers ive seen are rather boil in the bag, personally I would rather accept if it rains , I get wet:okay:

What about a rain cape? Should keep the worst of the rain off without being too boil in the bag. OK, it's a nerdy look, but if it didn't work, they wouldn't sell 'em.

Below the waist, I'd just go for lycra tights or something that won't soak up too much water, then just change into dry togs when you get home.

vickster

Legendary Member
What about a rain cape? Should keep the worst of the rain off without being too boil in the bag. OK, it's a nerdy look, but if it didn't work, they wouldn't sell 'em.

Below the waist, I'd just go for lycra tights or something that won't soak up too much water, then just change into dry togs when you get home.
Yep this. I’ve never used waterproof trousers
if you’re on the larger size you could look at the Fat Lad at the back women's range or Altura go up to an 18, and Pearl Izumi XXL, just avoid anything described as race or form fit or similar. I'm a tall 16-18 and have never found one piece of women's cycling clothing in Decathlon that fits

Last edited:
OP
OP
LibraRider

LibraRider

Okay thanks guys :okay:

May just look into getting a jacket then. I was a bit unsure about the trousers to be honest :laugh:

As long as the rain isn’t incessant, or your out in it for hours, you shouldn’t need full on waterproofs. If your warmed up and riding, and it’s only light rain / showers, you’ll soon dry off in between the rain showers. Wear a normal cycling jacket, and some bibs, or cycling trousers, and that should suffice, for all but really dire weather.
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/endura-womens-singletrack-softshell-jacket/
Something like this would be okay.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm not convinced by a hood on a bike especially if riding on busy roads as it may restrict your eye line when looking side to side or over shoulder and also potentially affect hearing (which for me is an indispensable sense when cycling)

You can wear a skullcap under helmet if have hair concerns or it's very cold (frankly my hair goes mad under a helmet anyhow so a bit of rain doesn't make a lot of difference and if I get that wet on a bike I go straight in the shower when I get home to clean and warm up!

Mike_P

Guru
I use a Regatta XPro waterproof coat, that they flogging for just over £20 last autumn, together with their waterproof trousers and overshoes, today's being BBB waterflex ones. Have no problem hearing traffic with the hood up, the problem I did find was that my Planet X Carnac helmets straps were too short with the hood up, my Bell helmet was okay. All fine for a short commute where you have your work clothes on but the coat is probably a bit too much for a longer one.

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Mountain Warehouse do reasonable overtrousers. They are quite a baggy fit, and are very waterproof in my experience. My only slight issue with them are the velcro straps by the ankles. They're not very strong.
Well worth a look, though.

The best rain pants I have found at reasonable price are Montane Atomic. They come in breathable waterproof or more breathable showerproof pertex material.
The fit is good for cycling with long zips, velcro tabs, elasticated ankles. They are not the most breathable and not really for high intensity riding on temperate days. I wear them for winter commuting.

As mentioned above, the problem with (especially budget) rain gear is that it doesn't breathe and you get as wet on the inside as you would in the rain without them.

I generally find that if my feet are dry, or at least warm I can manage inclement weather. The best things for that without spending a fortune are plastic bags wrapped around my feet (inside my shoes) and wool socks.

I own two pieces of "bicycle clothing", a Gorewear rain pants and Gorewear jacket. Both crazily expensive (to me), but bought at knockdown prices when I waited for the prices to drop. The pants, especially, are the business!

If you do decide to follow the general advice and skip investing in the rain gear, consider some Merino underlayers. Decathlon do them, but perhaps sizing will be an issue, otherwise eBay is your friend.
Very comfortable and they keep you warm, even if wet. (They work well in heat, too!)

A really cheap alternative are Decathlon underlayers for skiing. Last winter I got a set of leggings and a top for €5! Not so great in very wet conditions, though.

Finally, a suggestion for you. Your enthusiasm is clear & infectious! I think it's fairly likely you'll have lots more questions in the coming days and weeks. Perhaps it's an idea to keep all your questions in the one thread (perhaps ask the Mods to rename this one?).
That way when you get answers all the info will be available to posters and the answers will be more specific to your situation. Keep your other thread as your "cycling progress" one (well done! Keep it up!)

+ 1
never felt the need for waterproof trousers. Tights fine.

Skin is waterproof and if you wear tights and pedal you are unlikely to feel uncomfortable. Pedaling/body heat also dries out the tights - result.

The human body is a fine clever thing - just needs a bit of help now and again.

Top Bottom