Watford Bollard Gap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That is stupid tight! Either close the road or don't. Poor infrastructure, badly implented.

Heaven help any cyclist that arrives there at the same time as the 'wrong' type of driver!!!
There are plenty of traffic islands around though ? Do we get rid of all of those ?
Used properly these should be safer than wider roads ?

Drago

Legendary Member
Massive signs, the bollards themselves give ample warning of what motprists are about to face...anyone who cant manage that should be on the road. The majority of drivers manage it just fine.

Let be honest, if motorised road users behaved themseles in the first place there would be no need for such measures so I have little sympathy when they are introduced and the low of iq or driving skill have problems with it.

Notice as well that most are mounting the footway and hitting the NS bollard, right where someone could be walking or waiting to cross if the bollar was not there. People that can't keepmoff the footway due to a lack of spatial awareness, skill, or an abundance of twittishness deserve everything theyre about to receive.

Sadly, it looks like the carncil may replace them with cameras and penalty notices. That may make the carncil a few quid after the event, but it won't to anyrhing to either slow cars down or prevent unlawful access by goods vehicles.

Last edited:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
In theory most cars would fit through the gap, which may have been part of the Council's thinking in setting the gap. Albeit for some vehicles, more care would be required and drivers may decide their skills are not up to the task and choose an alternative route.
I doubt most of the drivers in the film clip would attempt to cross fierce speed bumps at the speeds they approached the chicane.

gbb

Legendary Member
I wonder how many motorists actually know the physical width of their vehicle?

My Jazz is 5' 7" - 1.7 m give or take a mm.
Tbf, I dont.
I do remember unexpectedly needing to go through such a width restriction near Gt Yarmouth...towing a caravan :surrender:
I got through with millimetres to spare. It always occurred to me, I could have got stuck half way :wacko:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I've driven through it, its very tight, and that was probably before the council further narrowed it in the recent replacement.

No danger to cyclists as they can wizz through and cars literally crawl thru. Its a flawed bit of road design, as they want to let buses through, but not LGVs upwards. An ANPR camera would be much better.

There is a worse designed one in Hatch end, which, although not as tight, is on a slight corner so lining up your car proves problematic for some.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5...MDCR10S-AY2HHH6dw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en-GB
1639471528427.png

gbb

Legendary Member
That is stupid tight! Either close the road or don't. Poor infrastructure, badly implented.

Heaven help any cyclist that arrives there at the same time as the 'wrong' type of driver!!!
It'd be interesting to see the width if a fairly moderate sized car like a Focus...and see how many cars are wider.
Drago states if you cant get through, you shouldn't be driving...in a way quite right, but i agree with you, ridiculously tight, uneccessarily tight and it was only ever going to end one way. Right or wrong, this was always what was going to happen.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
There are a couple like that near me. Both are very battle scarred and look to have been driven into a fair few times over the years.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I wonder how many motorists actually know the physical width of their vehicle?

My Jazz is 5' 7" - 1.7 m give or take a mm.
My Diddy Car (Hyundai i10) is ... er ... quite little. I bet I could get it through there easily.

OK I had to look it up. It's 1.68m. I don't know if that's with the ears out or folded back though.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Hang on. That restrictor is 7' That's not anything special.

There are several 7' width restrictors near me that have been there for YEARS and we rufty tufty SE Londoners have not been wetting our pants and making videos about them. We've just been driving through (and sometimes into) them.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4...4!1sGip0K830TAp8gY8Gh99kKw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4...4!1sm7PVI34DlIP3O_Gg8dkeAg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.3...4!1sm-etPlXoKnAAFP_rvPnxjQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Top Bottom