Wathching Sparrows.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
At the moment I am looking out of my kitchen window at a family of House Sparrows collecting nesting material in the garden. A lot of this material is from the dog brush that I have left out on the table for the birds to take.

Sparrows were in decline, but the last two years around my way they have made quite a comeback. Not as many as there were in my childhood, but on most days i can count up to twenty in my back garden.

gbb

Legendary Member
I live in an urban estate...i think there are fewer Sparrows here...the gardens not as noisy as it used to be.
Still see plenty of Dunnocks tho...more of a solitary bird, but i still see them on a regular basis.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
There is a small resurgence of the sparrow in parts of South London which is a welcome sight after such a long time without them.
There are about ten that nest near Ms. tdr1nka's school and when I saw and heard them I couldn't believe it!

Weirdest thing was explaining to Ms. tdr1nka what sort of bird they were!!

wafflycat

In the grounds of Wafflycat Mansion, there are fewer blue tits this year. Great tits are outnumbering the blue tits considerably this year. Greenfinches are on the up. Fewer chaffinches. Loads more magpies, jays, jackdaws & rooks though. Hmm..

p.s. and more chickens..

ChrisKH

Guru
I've got a multitude of woodpidgeons nesting in my garden and roundabouts - they're doing it on purpose I tell you! Also quite a few green speckled eggs broken and sucked dry on the patio by some hungry thing.The eggs are a subtle green with brown speckles. Can anyone confirm what bird they come from?

ChrisKH said:
I've got a multitude of woodpidgeons nesting in my garden and roundabouts - they're doing it on purpose I tell you! Also quite a few green speckled eggs broken and sucked dry on the patio by some hungry thing.The eggs are a subtle green with brown speckles. Can anyone confirm what bird they come from?

I'm betting it's not one of these ! :wacko:

Top Bottom