Waves at everyone!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevenb

Edge said:
What roadie are you after?

looking at a few TBH mate. Focus Cayo is one that stands out....but the best bike I can get for £1k. ;) So many contenders from LeMond, Trek, Viner, Willier, Orbea, Felt etc etc I want something light, nimble and fast. A good frame/fork base is the most important factor to me.

barq

Hello, welcome to the forum. I'm another one of the afore mentioned MTB people, but I'm sure you'll get tons of excellent roadie advice from other folks.

Judging by the photo of your GT I think I've got the same forks as you. ;) I've also got plans to do something similar and get a road bike for winter training. Anyway good luck building up that frame.

Edit: I also meant to say I enjoyed your review of Coed y Brenin on your website - I went on a night ride there a few months back and they've added a few new sections to what was already a great centre.

OP
OP
Edge

Edge

You have some decisions to make then Steve, good luck with your choice ;)

Thanks barg, I quite enjoyed the ride at CyB, although we did have a stressful ride it was still a great place to go for the day.

Did you read up on the Bristol bike fest and the other races I did this year, had as much fun riding them as I did writing about it ;)

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
Welcome to the jungle Edge!Have a look at a few explorer maps of w Dorset/The Blackdown Hills/E Devon-some good bridleways if you really look (used to walk round here lots). Also there's the Mendips-both MBR and WMB have published routes here in the past.

OP
OP
Edge

Edge

Hi MG,

I have done a few different trails down in Dartmoor and we will be heading on over to Haldon soon to have a ride around the XC trail.

I ride the Quantocks a fair bit and I like to ride around Wareham forest with my family for a relatively easy going pace but sadly my wife has the car now at weekends so I am limited to my local area unless friends are out for a big ride somewhere so this is part of my reason for going to the roads now and then as I can just jump on the bike (once built) and basically head of anywhere.

I will be heading on over to Cheddar later this month for the bike fest they have and I hope to sample some of the trails they have on offer. We plan on riding the Mendips and Exmoor soon as well.

It is just a shame about my locality because I have fields, hills, farms and lots of country side all around me but sadly we do not have much in the way of bridleways around here ;)

OP
OP
Edge

Edge

She is pretty much complete now. I want to get a new flatter seat ( I have levelled mine out now, which this photo does not show) and some other minor tweaks and she will do for some winter fun.

I did have to change the headset which was fun but a mate from my LBS helped me out with that. I will also change the tyres when these wear down but I need to look more into that before buying.

DSC00076.jpg

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Looks great !:sad:
Well done - you must be a very competent meccanoic/meckanic - fixer of things !
Love the colour too xx(

Let us know how the riding goes !

Globalti

Legendary Member
Hi Edge, welcome. Do you hang around at Singletrackworld? I got banned from there for my non-PC views. I like the look of your GT, a proper hardtail for a change, not one of those "arse-over-the-wheel" overweight things most people seem to ride nowadays. I ride a Global hardtail.

I also have an el-cheapo road bike, a lovely Peugeot, which I bought in virtually new condition for £150. I love riding it, I love the speed and the spring of the frame beneath me, it's an excellent compliment to MTBing because you don't really train on an MTB. Hope to see more of you on here.

OP
OP
Edge

Edge

I pop on STW now and then but have not posted much at all apart from in the classifieds.

I love the GT as well, I used to own a Rocky Mountain ~Slayer but sold it this year and picked up the HT, I found that I could not really warrant having a full susser when 90% of my riding did not require it. I have found that I climb a lot faster than I used to which is good news for me as I never really was a good climber.

papercorn2000

Hi there, <waves> you need to pop up to Scotland and try Kirroughtree, Mabie and Ae (and possibly Glentress if you can put up with the crowds!

Top Bottom