Wax Based Aerosol Lube

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

uclown2002

Guru
Seen a video in Australia where someone fixes a creaking noise by squirting this type of stuff inside a Tacx Neo trainer so thought I'd try myself.

What is readily available in UK?

I have some GT85 but don't think it is wax based.

OP
OP
uclown2002

uclown2002

Guru
187247D8-C3A2-4581-9DA6-74433B76AC17.jpeg Oh just found this. Assume this should work?

Globalti

Legendary Member
That's lithium grease in a very volatile solvent as carrier, not wax. The carrier delivers the grease and then evaporates leaving the grease in place.

I may be wrong but I don't think GT85 or WD40 contain wax, I think they are both mixtures of oils of different volatility. So-called dry chain lubes do contain wax and car maintenance stuff like Waxoyle definitely contains wax in a light volatile oil. This is the same stuff as Nikwax by the way, so a cheap way of waxing your walking shoes.

The best wax in an aerosol is household polish, Mr Sheen or Pledge. These leave a thin film of wax after buffing off and some window fitters even recommend them sprayed on and left to protect the metal parts on the mechanisms of plastic windows from oxidation when moist air from inside the house hits cold metal parts and condensation happens. They smell nice too; I clean eveything in the house with Sainsbury's lavender wax polish as it makes the cloth slide easily across the glass or the worktop next time you clean.

OP
OP
uclown2002

uclown2002

Guru
That's lithium grease in a very volatile solvent as carrier, not wax. The carrier delivers the grease and then evaporates leaving the grease in place.

I may be wrong but I don't think GT85 or WD40 contain wax, I think they are both mixtures of oils of different volatility. So-called dry chain lubes do contain wax and car maintenance stuff like Waxoyle definitely contains wax in a light volatile oil. This is the same stuff as Nikwax by the way, so a cheap way of waxing your walking shoes.

The best wax in an aerosol is household polish, Mr Sheen or Pledge. These leave a thin film of wax after buffing off and some window fitters even recommend them sprayed on and left to protect the metal parts on the mechanisms of plastic windows from oxidation when moist air from inside the house hits cold metal parts and condensation happens. They smell nice too; I clean eveything in the house with Sainsbury's lavender wax polish as it makes the cloth slide easily across the glass or the worktop next time you clean.
That makes sense. Could try household polish.

Top Bottom