WD40 - Good as a degreaser?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
After systematically eliminating everything else, this was the one thing that instantly stopped the problem. I could tell which bikes had been cleaned with WD solely by looking on my maintenance spreadsheet.

As aforementioned, professional motor vehicle technicians found this to be the source of the problem, and seeing as their advice immediately solved the problem I have no reason to doubt them.

WD also have a picture of a rocket on the tin, but you can bet NASA don't use it on their rockets.

And finally, I have never broken my ankle - just because I have never done so does not make me conclude that no one else had done so.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Because it attacks and degrades rubber componts. It'll eat fork seals, O rings in hydraulic levers, bearing seals etc, so obviously more injurious to older bikes.
Must be why they have released a range of products aimed at the bike market?

Davidc

Guru
The bike products aren't "original" WD40, but they'd have their work cut out to persuade me to use any on my bikes.

I can second Drago's experience with Rock Oil Maintenance Spray, but haven't ever found it from a normal retailer.

If black'n'yellow wants to go on using WD40 that's his choice. Mine is to restrict the stuff to cleaning jobs, keeping it away from wanted lubricants and greases, seals, rubber, plastics, cables, saddles ..........

If you must use a spray lubricant 3 in 1 is probably a better idea. At least that works on door hinges.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I'll tell you what it is good for- you know when you ignore road closed signs and you get wet tar all over your bike?

Well WD40 dissolves the tar like nobody's business.

As aforementioned, professional motor vehicle technicians found this to be the source of the problem, and seeing as their advice immediately solved the problem I have no reason to doubt them.

no offence, but vehicle technicians are not industrial chemists - I seriously doubt if the contents of the Rock Oil spray are any different.

WD also have a picture of a rocket on the tin, but you can bet NASA don't use it on their rockets.

Nobody said they did. The rocket comes from the name of the company (Rocket Chemicals) that invented the original formula.

And finally, I have never broken my ankle - just because I have never done so does not make me conclude that no one else had done so.

Random comment..??

If black'n'yellow wants to go on using WD40 that's his choice. Mine is to restrict the stuff to cleaning jobs, keeping it away from wanted lubricants and greases, seals, rubber, plastics, cables, saddles ..........

If you must use a spray lubricant 3 in 1 is probably a better idea. At least that works on door hinges.

The OP wanted to know if WD was ok for degreasing his BB shell - and I said yes. Then a load of other sanctimonious clever dicks pitched up to say that WD was the devil's work. Which it isn't. It's not my job to defend it - I haven't even got a can in the garage at the moment.

Davidc

Guru
I'll tell you what it is good for- you know when you ignore road closed signs and you get wet tar all over your bike?

Well WD40 dissolves the tar like nobody's business.
Absolutely

It's also better for that job on metal car bodies than the stuff Halfords sell, but I've never trusted it on the plastic bits.

Gets insect remains off quite well too.

U

User6179

I,ve just sprayed a whole can of wd40 on my next door neighbours car tyres(fell out a while back) and will report back as soon as I have any information!:thumbsup:

My tuppence worth is wd40 as a solvent/ thinner will be bad for some rubbers but i would expect the rubbers that are on cars, motorbikes or pedal bikes to be oil resistant rubbers and if wd40 did make these rubbers perish i would think it would be a warranty issue as you would expect oils to be used on these products.

gbb

Legendary Member
The usual disjointed arguements, for and against WD.
Here's my take...based on being in the engineering industry since 1977 and on the tools for the last 12 years.,,and seen very regular use of WD over the years
Ive never heard or seen anyone (including the fifty or so enginners ive worked with) have a problem with WD.
I use it regularly after jetwashing machinery, primarily as a water dispersant. Its never affected rubber seals on pneumatic cylinders, rubber 'engine mount' type components, plastic hosing, electrical cabling, plastics....anything, BUT maybe soft rubber buffer rings. Theyre like large soft o rings and they do go 'soggy' and deteriorate...that MAY be the WD, it equally may be the powerful citrus based solvents and cleaners i use as well. Who knows ?
Tried it as a chain lube, having got fed up of the endless arguements for and against. It didnt work for me despite very regular applications. One contributor here (sorry i cant remember who) swears by it, fair enough, but my experience was different.
Degreaser, of course it will, adequately.
Lubricant, of course it is, in limited ways.
Use on bikes ?...during winter commuting, i'd clean the bike when i got to work, the occasionally spray the frame, derailleurs and calipers with WD, then wipe off. WD doesnt even have a bad effect on brake blocks, they'd squeal a but at first, but it'd soon stop, braking performance wasnt noticeably effected.

Are there better alternatives, of course there are, is WD adequate at most of the things it clains, of course it is. Its versatile.

If it was as cr@p as everyone claimed, no engineering department in companies across the country would touch it. But they do....

HovR

Über Member
Yeah, it'll work as a degreaser... But I don't see why you'd want to use it. Simply wipe out the old grease with a rag, apply new grease. No harmful chemicals, no messy solvents to clean up before reapplying grease, and no over-spray landing on the floor/clothes/brakes etc!

wisdom

Guru
Not wishing to enter the debate about the pros and cons of WD 40.
What is a good degreaser for on the bike degreasing of the cassette?
Just to keep it clean and shiny during regular(daily)use as with this continued wet weather it picks up all sorts of crud despite weekly mickling.

U

User6179

Not wishing to enter the debate about the pros and cons of WD 40.
What is a good degreaser for on the bike degreasing of the cassette?
Just to keep it clean and shiny during regular(daily)use as with this continued wet weather it picks up all sorts of crud despite weekly mickling.

GT85 is quite cheap , under £3 delivered from amazon .

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Because it attacks and degrades rubber componts. It'll eat fork seals, O rings in hydraulic levers, bearing seals etc, so obviously more injurious to older bikes.
I'm with Drago on this. I've seen what WD40 can do to brake blocks. And, it must be said, it was pretty amusing. Then again, they weren't my brake blocks.

Top Bottom