We are off.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
RobinS

RobinS

Veteran
Well 17 days in and the weather is starting to improve.We have now had two fine days in a row! Camping just north of Lyon after almost 1000km. In answer to questions above,I am 56 and JanetS is 49. I was made redundant last year, we got a lodger to help fund and look after the house, and now spend half the year doing stuff and the other half working.
Latest gear tip, we have Nemo air mattresses, one Astra and one Tensor, and they take a lot of huff to blow up, so I bought a ridiculously expensive Thermarest pump, and it's brilliant. Pumps them up quickly, and we are still on the first pair of lithium AAA batteries.

OP
OP
RobinS

RobinS

Veteran
Now down in the hills of Provence. Hot sunshine, and rock hard campsites! Had a bit of a crisis near Montelimar when my rear rim started to break up around two of the spokes. On the advice of a local bike shop I took it to Decathlon,where they took a wheel off a display bike , and swapped it over for me.

OP
OP
RobinS

RobinS

Veteran
We have now reached Italy after cycling the French Riviera. Had another crisis when a pole snapped on the tent.Did a temporary repair, then got some replacement pole sections in decathlon Cannes. Very useful shop, also get gas there. Amazingly the original batteries in the thermarest pump are still going strong after 70 inflations.

OP
OP
RobinS

RobinS

Veteran
40 days done. Traversed the Italian Riviera to Sestri Levante. Too humid,too busy on the roads, and pretty poor campsites. Headed inland over the Passo Cento Croci yesterday, 1055m ascent in 42km straight from the coast. Taking a rest today to recover! Also trying to mend a puncture in my mattress.

OP
OP
RobinS

RobinS

Veteran
Headed north across the Po valley, then up to Lake Garda where we had a break for a few days at Arco. From there over a very big hill to Trento. Discovered that our rear Marathons were totally worn out with the greenhouses showing through! Bought basic replacements in Bolzano. Followed the cycle trail up through Merano and over the Reschen Pass to Austria. Now taking a rest day and replacing worn out brake pads. Has been hot, over 30°c every day for almost two weeks now.

We have now reached Italy after cycling the French Riviera. Had another crisis when a pole snapped on the tent.Did a temporary repair, then got some replacement pole sections in decathlon Cannes. Very useful shop, also get gas there. Amazingly the original batteries in the thermarest pump are still going strong after 70 inflations.
clearly DEcathlon is your guardian angel across Europe. I well remember abandoning on early short camping trip because of a bust pole (though it also managed to tear the tent) - what you need are spare sections, a hacksaw blade (you don't need the handle/holder for such a light job), a couple of tent pole splints and some duct tape. With that you will be free of short term worries. Apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs.
Keep up the posts.

Love driving the Reschen pass

OP
OP
RobinS

RobinS

Veteran
Descended from the Reschen pass down to Landeck, then it was uphill again to St Anton. Issue today as we discovered that the Arlberg tunnel is closed all summer, diverting the heavy traffic over the pass. Arlberg region have banned bikes from cycling up the pass, but have laid on a very efficient bike taxi on the banned section. We then had a very fast descent racing to keep ahead of the trucks untila cycle trail resumed at Stuben. Now at Bludenz, heading for Switzerland and the Bodensee tomorrow. Still very hot but looking like we may get a storm tonight.

Top Bottom