We are the cyclists who shout "OI"!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zippy

I had cause to shout “OI” at a motorist this morning – or did I? Either way it was to warn of my presence rather than a reprimand – honest!

I stopped behind a traffic priority give-way line to allow a car to come past from on-coming. Once the car was by, I set off but (in my view) I was cut up by a car turning right from a side street just in front of me.

I suppose their view would be I was stopped behind a painted give way line and there wasn’t a give way line at he head of the side street; so their right of way?

I have drawn a sketch which I hope explains what happened. The rectangle is the car and the arrow showing line of path. The star is me – the cyclist behind the give-way line. To my left is a tiny lane which feeds a dozen or so cottages so not a major road. The side street is more busy. The road I am on is the main feeder road for the major junction further on (not shown but would be at top of sketch).

Your thoughts? Whatever the situation the driver didn't check her mirror or apparently hear my warning.

yello

Seems like an honest mistake on the driver's part, as you suggest. Seems also that the road markings (and signs?) might be a tad confusing too. It's just a damned shame that cyclists are so vulnerable in these kinds of mistakes. In that context, your shout is completely understandable.

Norm

Zippy said:
I suppose their view would be I was stopped behind a painted give way line and there wasn’t a give way line at he head of the side street; so their right of way?
If there's no line for the motorist, and there was one for you, then I'd think the motorist had priority.

Where would he/she have stopped, if there's no line?

A link to Google's StreetView might be helpful.

OP
OP
Z

Zippy

Thanks Norm. I'm glad I looked on StreetView becuse actually there are give way lines at the head of all three points - my priority give way line and the two side streets.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tab=wl
I notice the above link just shows you a map of Britain! However, if you type in North Roskear Road, Camborne and drag the littel man to the junction at Edward Street you have the crossroads. There is a boy with a red hoodie standing just in front of the give way line I was stopped at.

My argument then is that I had right of way once the on-coming car had cleared because I was on the main road and the car was waiting at a side street.

However, it could also be argued that the car had right of way because my priority give way line is a more definite stop.

I'm not sure and a lot of local drivers are not sure as I get the same drivers waving me on frantically when I stop at that point in my car!

Norm

Zippy said:
My argument then is that I had right of way once the on-coming car had cleared because I was on the main road and the car was waiting at a side street.

However, it could also be argued that the car had right of way because my priority give way line is a more definite stop.
When you get the location up, you need to click the "link" box top right of the picture and use that URL. It will show this as the location, I think.

And that clearly shows that you had priority over the car emerging from the road to your right. The sign on your road clearly shows that you have to "give way to oncoming vehicles", nothing about vehicles emerging from side streets. Although, tbh, putting a pinch point there is a pretty crappy road layout.

OP
OP
Z

Zippy

Thanks Norm. This is a handy tool; I like it!

Top Bottom