We Are Too Nice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I've come to the conclusion that we are too nice. It often strikes me while perusing the Commuting section that we give a lot of thought to the feelings of road users that do not trouble themselves to return the favour. So we avoid particular cycling behaviours not only when they are dangerous, irresponsible or inconsiderate but when some motorists feel that they are dangerous, irresponsible or inconsiderate, even when we know otherwise. And nothing, not even jumping red lights with abandon, seems to upset motorists quite so much as the entirely unexceptionable desire to ride alongside your companion and have a bit of a chat. I spotted a friend ahead, with whom I had quite a lot of things to catch up on, on the way home yesterday and worked hard to chase him down up a big hill. We were riding together for all of half a mile up a very spacious road, quite obviously in conversation, and were abused in some way or another by eight drivers. Eight! In half a mile! Which was pretty much everyone that passed us. None of them, incidentally, were held up for more than a few seconds. I've had enough. Yesterday a group of young men pulled up alongside and slightly ahead of me and deliberately squirted me with window-washer, and minutes later another threw stones at me. I was on the shiny bike, so it's probably an envy thing.
;)

But what I'm getting at is that these idiots are not showing any signs of learning, so we will have to teach them, and if it means being a little bloody-minded, then so be it. Like many people, I often move over unnecessarily when cars want to pass while riding two abreast, just because it seems nicer, and drivers like it. Bollocks to it - I am now going to do the opposite, and ride two abreast at every opportunity (except when genuinely delaying an otherwise considerate driver) until the idiots learn. We need to stop moving over, or things will not get better.

Bruce

I've come to the conclusion that we are too nice. It often strikes me while perusing the Commuting section that we give a lot of thought to the feelings of road users that do not trouble themselves to return the favour. So we avoid particular cycling behaviours not only when they are dangerous, irresponsible or inconsiderate but when some motorists feel that they are dangerous, irresponsible or inconsiderate, even when we know otherwise. And nothing, not even jumping red lights with abandon, seems to upset motorists quite so much as the entirely unexceptionable desire to ride alongside your companion and have a bit of a chat. I spotted a friend ahead, with whom I had quite a lot of things to catch up on, on the way home yesterday and worked hard to chase him down up a big hill. We were riding together for all of half a mile up a very spacious road, quite obviously in conversation, and were abused in some way or another by eight drivers. Eight! In half a mile! Which was pretty much everyone that passed us. None of them, incidentally, were held up for more than a few seconds. I've had enough. Yesterday a group of young men pulled up alongside and slightly ahead of me and deliberately squirted me with window-washer, and minutes later another threw stones at me. I was on the shiny bike, so it's probably an envy thing.
;)

But what I'm getting at is that these idiots are not showing any signs of learning, so we will have to teach them, and if it means being a little bloody-minded, then so be it. Like many people, I often move over unnecessarily when cars want to pass while riding two abreast, just because it seems nicer, and drivers like it. Bollocks to it - I am now going to do the opposite, and ride two abreast at every opportunity (except when genuinely delaying an otherwise considerate driver) until the idiots learn. We need to stop moving over, or things will not get better.
Thats a good idea get more of them antagonised and feeling anti cyclist. Just for info I reproduce rule 66 below

• keep both hands on the handlebars except when signalling or changing gear
  • keep both feet on the pedals
  • never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends
  • not ride close behind another vehicle
  • not carry anything which will affect your balance or may get tangled up with your wheels or chain
  • be considerate of other road users, particularly blind and partially sighted pedestrians. Let them know you are there when necessary, for example, by ringing your bell if you have one. It is recommended that a bell be fitted
Ride in single file on narrow or busy roads, I know these are suggestions, and in this case who defines busy or narrow, but as you say you were abused by 8 motorists in 1/2 mile I would say that was busy road.

But as ever you must do what you feel is correct, but I fear you will experience more abuse

Good Luck

nasserblue

Two wrongs don't make a right.

The last thing any of us want to do is annoy any of the drivers that put do think of others.

Now if there is someway to antagonise pedestrians please show me where to sign-up.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
That's why we need people to complain, to video, and to bring consequences to these bullies. Stand up to them, or forever be the victim.

I don't have a problem with being polite to other road users, even if they don't reciprocate. It doesn't really irk me. On the contrary it gives me a clear conscience. Even if I end up 'losing the argument' with a moron. Better to lose your argument with a moron than to lose your life to a moron.

So - by corollary - I don't have a problem with singling up when road conditions are such that singling up is a help to other road users. There are plenty of roads, on the other hand, where you can double up in perfect safety without inconveniencing anyone. Why not leave it at that?

Oh, and congrats on your first 'Commuting' thread, TC! :whistle: :biggrin:

Ranger

The longer you live away from the UK, the stranger this cycle commuting business seems to get. I can't even remember the last time I had a contretemps with a driver.

Know what you mean, but only because I'm too slow to catch the f****rs afterwards.

Seriously though, most drivers I meet are pretty considerate and I only have an proper issue 2-3 times a year, the pass and stop technique, not giving as much room as it says in the Highway Code etc I pretty much shrug off and just expect them to do it

I can see where you are coming from, but being pig headed about it will only increase your own blood pressure and stress, not to mention the bad will it will cause.

If you want to get back at them, do as BM suggests. get a helmet camera, get them on video and post it (along with reg details).

Mickle linked to the bad driver site recently. It is flawed and open to abuse. However, a similar site requiring video footage could be an option. Bring all of the video together might increase publicity of the issues and the likelihood of the drivers finding the videos.

Just a thought....

Coco

What's wrong with being nice? Isn't that the sort of behaviour we are trying to encourage in all road users.

Even as an avowed atheist, I find believing in Karma a great way to get through the worst of commuting days.  :smile:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
What's wrong with being nice? Isn't that the sort of behaviour we are trying to encourage in all road users.
+1

The day I start setting my ethical compass according to that of (some) British motorists will be the day I hang up my bike shoes.

Out of pure practicality, I'd also rather have an impatient driver in front of me than behind me.

mgarl10024

Über Member
Hi,

I'm still new to commuting by bike and only joined this forum very recently. I do lots to avoid busy roads, and at my current level there's no way that I'd cycle through the centres of towns like many people here do.

However, I have been surprised at a number of very angry posts here. Perhaps I've just not been at it as long as most of you. I'll admit that I have got annoyed with other motorists when driving, and I understand that when on a bike we're much more vulnerable in a collision - however I cannot see how wearing helmet cams and screaming at drivers to check youtube for their registration can help our cause.

When reading this forum, I often think of two things
1) "You'll catch more bees with honey" - politely explaining to motorists what's gone wrong, or even letting them realise for themselves what's so good about cycling.
2) "Aren't we all just trying to get somewhere?" - To quote a Honda advert from a few years ago where everything on the roads hates everything else.

Thanks,

MG

Bruce

Hi,

I'm still new to commuting by bike and only joined this forum very recently. I do lots to avoid busy roads, and at my current level there's no way that I'd cycle through the centres of towns like many people here do.

However, I have been surprised at a number of very angry posts here. Perhaps I've just not been at it as long as most of you. I'll admit that I have got annoyed with other motorists when driving, and I understand that when on a bike we're much more vulnerable in a collision - however I cannot see how wearing helmet cams and screaming at drivers to check youtube for their registration can help our cause.

1) "You'll catch more bees with honey" - politely explaining to motorists what's gone wrong, or even letting them realise for themselves what's so good about cycling.
2) "Aren't we all just trying to get somewhere?" - To quote a Honda advert from a few years ago where everything on the roads hates everything else.

Thanks,

MG

+1 :thumbsup:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist

Hi there, do bear in mind that more people vent than come on and say "Hmm, not very much happened to me today".

Saying that, cycling in Britain is, in my experience, far less pleasant than in, say, France, or Belgium (at least where I've cycled in France and Belgium it is).

Regarding 1), I've done it occasionally - it's usually fairly futile, ime. People are either angry that you dare question their driving, or indifferent. I leave well enough alone, personally.

2) Is very true, although you'll find some motorists (not all, some days not even more than a small minority) think that they should be able to get somewhere without the irritation of bicycles ahead of them.

Riding a commute here (in the UK) involves dealing on a daily basis with a degree of dangerous indifference, and occasionally active malice coupled with a lack of understanding of both the way cyclists have to use the road, and of traffic law and the highway code in most cases.

It can be quite wearing, and occasionally folk need to get it off their chests. I'm guilty of that at times myself.

Top Bottom